Wheels - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wheels

I am thinking again and what a dangerous thing this is. Compareing the obs wheels -6.5 - circle and the sd wheels 170.0 mm circle. 6.5 inch = 165.1 mm. 170. mm = 6.6929133858 inch.. If I do the math I think this means the 170 is .0254 or 30 thousanths larger than 6.5. Am I thinking correctly that If using a milling maching, I can move the center of the lug hole .015 to the outside and not increase the diameter of stud (just remove material in the one direction). H as anyone considered this? Is it possible and will it work. I guess I need some other opinions on this. ????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 PM
PowerStroke Fan

Re: Wheels

NO! The lug nut needs to seat perfectly 360 degrees around each lug hole in the wheel. If you machine these larger, you'll have oblong bolt holes in the wheel, and the nut having a firm seat on only one-half of each of the lug holes. This WILL stress the wheel to the point of fracture and failure.

And, if you attempt to use the wheel as-is on the truck, you will watch your wheels and tires come off in a matter of a few miles. Thirty-thousandths doesn't sound like much, but here, it most definitely IS. Think about that .030"...that is the gap on most spark plugs!

Get the right wheel and run with it.

1995 F350 SRW XLT 4x4 LB CC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick66 View Post
NO! The lug nut needs to seat perfectly 360 degrees around each lug hole in the wheel. If you machine these larger, you'll have oblong bolt holes in the wheel, and the nut having a firm seat on only one-half of each of the lug holes. This WILL stress the wheel to the point of fracture and failure.

And, if you attempt to use the wheel as-is on the truck, you will watch your wheels and tires come off in a matter of a few miles. Thirty-thousandths doesn't sound like much, but here, it most definitely IS. Think about that .030"...that is the gap on most spark plugs!

Get the right wheel and run with it.
I do understand exactly what you are trying to say However if you remove one lugnut on the 250 0r the 350 you will notice more than .030 space around the stud. These trucks use a hub-piliot and the lug nuts have built in washers. I understand what you are saying and if these trucks had the tapered seat on lug nuts and were centered by the nuts themselves then you wdould be correct. Please take one nut off your truck and let me know what you think???
Foxman

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
RubberDuck

I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and read in one of the current diesel mag's that as a side note in the article that the rims were from a Sd had been machined to fit an OBS. I believe the article was focused on tire test. Sorry don't remember which mag had it.

Frank

97 F350 4x4 4.10 Crewcab, 3" down pipe, 4" mag flow, tranny cooler and shift kit, Mile Marker hubs, tymar intake, tymar coolant filter, tymar oil crossover, Browns front bumper, side steps and headache rack, ranch hand rear bumper.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

I've got some wheels and tires I will sell you

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 AM
PSN Veteran

I saw where a guy took excursion rims machined them to fit obs pattern and installed steel insert cups. Think that was on here a while back though. If you got rims for next to nothing and found a machine shop that would do the work and if the inserts where resonably priced might work. You just might be better off buying the right pattern is what I discovered.... But it can be done

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode