I think i have diagnosed the problem :/ - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

I think i have diagnosed the problem :/

The backround: Ok So i dont know if you guys know whats going on with my story of the (#1) 97' F-250 but it has had a problem the last couple of years and was parked. I recently have begun getting the time and money to tear into it. From basically new (17,000 mi) my dad has used it as a work truck/daily driver that hasn't towed hardly anything. It is a Ext. cab long bed with a 5 speed.

The problem: The pickup will start very hard and will only rev to 1200-1500 RPM. After it has ran slightly but not to full running temp. the pickup will run great. However after it warms up i get problems, sometimes five minutes after it warms up sometimes 45 minutes and sometimes it runs fine. But what will happen is the fuel filter will start to flash, not stay on, it just flickers, and we have changed fuel filters and it changes nothing.

The solution: My theory is that the oil in the top end of the engine, the extra 3 quarts, has never been changed with the bottom end. Yes, i know it is designed to circulate with the bottom end oil, however, i have heard that it can fry your injectors by not changing it. So i recently bought a (#2) 94.5 7.3 Powerstroke engine that i plan on rebuilding to put in its place.

My plan for now: Take the injectors out of #2 and put them in #1 for the time being and see what happens. If that does nothing then I will be lost. Is there any other ideas tips of information you guys could give me? Has anybody else experienced this.

FYI: The CPS has been replaced three times.
I'm counting on some input! Thanks guys! Stefan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 AM
PSN Local

Re: I think i have diagnosed the problem :/

Do you mean the light that says , water in fuel ? Your heater element in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl may be bad or shorted out. You can dissconnect the wires going to the bottom of the filter housing to see if changes anything. I have heard of this element causing other drivability problems.

97 F350 crew cab 8' bed, 177,000 miles, bought new. Tymar intake,3 inch downpipe 4 in exhaust back , all SS, Cat gutted,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DPTunes F6 sweet change tunes via e-mail. Sonnax goodies Line pressure modulator valve, 1-2 2-3 3-4 accumulator control valves.
New trans BB FWB, Red Eagle and Z-Pak clutchs,triple disc converter. BUILT NOT BOUGHT
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwbkent View Post
Do you mean the light that says , water in fuel ? Your heater element in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl may be bad or shorted out. You can dissconnect the wires going to the bottom of the filter housing to see if changes anything. I have heard of this element causing other drivability problems.
No its the Fuel Filter light right next to that. :/

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Who ever told you about the oil not mixing and changing the 3 quarts up top is feeding you horse $hit.

02 f250
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
Who ever told you about the oil not mixing and changing the 3 quarts up top is feeding you horse .
Well it mixes but it would still be a good idea to change because if you look at it from that point of view then you only change 15 out of 18 quarts. That could cause premature failure...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_f250_7.3L View Post
Well it mixes but it would still be a good idea to change because if you look at it from that point of view then you only change 15 out of 18 quarts. That could cause premature failure...
Wrong.

You have other problems with your truck.

02 f250
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Have you been watching the powerstroke help guy on you tube?

02 f250
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Simple is best

Ok the oil not mixing thing is a load of crap. Do an oil and filter change if you haven't already.

On to the runability then. I'd be looking to verify fuel pressure if I were you. check the fuel pressure at the filter housing (schraeder valve there makes that check easy). If you are good there, I would take the extra time to get some fittings and check pressures at the heads. Pretty easy to do... just tap in to the front of the heads with 1/8"npt fittings and a liquid filled gauge. If you are getting good pressure there, that is the return, so you know you are getting good pressure through the heads. Don't throw another set of injectors in it until you have verified you have good fuel pressure.

Oil pressure. Have you checked your HPOP to see if it is filling properly? It sounds to me like a fuel or oil pressure issue.

Electrical is a possibility, but the fact it won't go over 1500 rpm would keep me from going there first. Even with bad injectors, electrical problems with signal to injectors, etc, these things will run and run at higher rpms than that. You can shoot them and they'll keep running until you throw a couple grenades in. It needs fuel pressure and oil pressure to achieve the rpms... and of course air, but assuming you don't have a brick in front of your intake tube, you need to determine those pressures.

97 HD Supercab LB 4x4. E4OD w/"mini shift kit" & Schaeffers synthetic, Tru Cool cooler, 4:10's, 33's on Weld Typhoon wheels, Gauges, Swamps stage 1's, Swamps IDM, TS 6 pos chip with Swamps tunes, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 4" exhaust (had to keep cat). Weather Guard toolbox, GPS, Billet grill.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
Have you been watching the powerstroke help guy on you tube?
To answer your question, honestly, yes i have, but i had heard that before hand to so i figured it was a must. My dad just never took the time to do it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan68 View Post
Ok the oil not mixing thing is a load of crap. Do an oil and filter change if you haven't already.

On to the runability then. I'd be looking to verify fuel pressure if I were you. check the fuel pressure at the filter housing (schraeder valve there makes that check easy). If you are good there, I would take the extra time to get some fittings and check pressures at the heads. Pretty easy to do... just tap in to the front of the heads with 1/8"npt fittings and a liquid filled gauge. If you are getting good pressure there, that is the return, so you know you are getting good pressure through the heads. Don't throw another set of injectors in it until you have verified you have good fuel pressure.

Oil pressure. Have you checked your HPOP to see if it is filling properly? It sounds to me like a fuel or oil pressure issue.

Electrical is a possibility, but the fact it won't go over 1500 rpm would keep me from going there first. Even with bad injectors, electrical problems with signal to injectors, etc, these things will run and run at higher rpms than that. You can shoot them and they'll keep running until you throw a couple grenades in. It needs fuel pressure and oil pressure to achieve the rpms... and of course air, but assuming you don't have a brick in front of your intake tube, you need to determine those pressures.
From the looks of it my dads pickup and yours look identical. His is 5 speed tho. Well the pickup itself has right under 300k miles. So thats why i was going to put these injectors into it for now. But i can wait for that if you think that would be best. This is the second fuel pump in it, but after i figure out this problem i am hoping to go to a new fuel setup. The only thing that is stumbling me is why it runs great until it gets warm... thats what is making me believe something with the oil. This could be where the HPOP is shootin' crap on me. P.S I bought the second engine and transmission and rearend and brand new fuel tank for $1200, so i couldn't pass it up. Thats the engine i plan on building to put in it. Thats why i thought about just swapping the injectors right away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode