Welding on truck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Welding on truck

I am in the process of installing an intercooler and for piece of mind I am going to weld in some more metal in a couple of places on the radiator support.

Are there any issues with welding like this? Problems with the ECM or sensors? Both batteries are disconnected. Just don't want to fry any of the electrical on the truck.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
6.0h sh*t!

Re: Welding on truck

As long as the batteries are disconnected you should be good.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
PSN Veteran

I weld on everything with Batt connected..never a problem..

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Introduction only. Please email if I can help.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Keep er shinny side up!

Never a problem yet...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Good deal....thanks!

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM
6.0h sh*t!

Welded on a bus frame last year with batteries connected and took out 6 of the 9 ECM's in the thing. Oops! Very expensive screw up.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Monkeys have armpits!

we just got finished with one of the welders rigs here on the jobsite and we welded on it with everything connected. Done it multiple times on several vehicles with no issues.

2005 F-250 FX4 CC
bought it, then changed it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 PM
PSN Local

You can weld on a truck all day long and it won't hurt a thing.....IF....you remember to keep the ground close to your work and don't let any electronics get between the ground and the weld. The electricity travels in a straight line....or as straight as it can get. If you ground to the front bumper and weld on the back or vice versa, then you are asking for lots of trouble. The key is to keep the ground very close. I stretch trucks all the time with everything hooked up....no prob. My dump bed was built on my truck...no prob. I run a welding rig and weld on the tail all the time...again, no probs. It can be done and is done every day.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Avenger View Post
You can weld on a truck all day long and it won't hurt a thing.....IF....you remember to keep the ground close to your work and don't let any electronics get between the ground and the weld. The electricity travels in a straight line....or as straight as it can get. If you ground to the front bumper and weld on the back or vice versa, then you are asking for lots of trouble. The key is to keep the ground very close. I stretch trucks all the time with everything hooked up....no prob. My dump bed was built on my truck...no prob. I run a welding rig and weld on the tail all the time...again, no probs. It can be done and is done every day.
Very true! Keep the ground on the same piece you are welding, if the ground must travel through a bolted joint there could be problems. Most of all, do not for any reason whatsoever weld on the engine with the ground attached to the frame, exhaust system, body, transmission, etc...every bearing in the engine will suffer arc damage.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 AM
BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSWIZ View Post
I weld on everything with Batt connected..never a problem..
Same here, I always mean to disconnect but I always remember about the same time I finish up

NOS is like a hot chick with STD's you know you wana hit it your just afraid of the consequences!!!

24" airbag lift, W/ digital air ride
20 x 14 Fuel Hostage, 46 x 19 x 20 Claws
4:88 gears
DPS chip, AEM CAI, 38r turbo
7" miter cut stack,

99 F 250 CC SB (orange) 4x4 PSD
99 F350 ECLB 4x4
00 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
2008 F350 CCLB 4x4 6.4 PSD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode