high pressure oil issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

high pressure oil issues

ok, i have a 97 powerstroke and last week my high pressure oil pump blew up, literally. i replaced it and all was well. 30 miles later my cam sensor went out. replaced and all was well. then last night, 10 miles after replacement my engine up and shut off again at 60 mph. just completly died. any suggestions? could it be just a bad cam sensor or is there another problem. could there be a short somewhere? another sensor? HELP!!!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
<----Colin Banks

Re: high pressure oil issues

Do you have a chip plugged into the PCM? If so, remove it and clean the contacts of the chip and PCM with rubbing alcohol. Use an old T-shirt to do it. If you dont have a chip, sounds like a dead CPS.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I would be looking at the harness in that area of where you were working on when you did the HPOP.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

since last post I have been through 2 sensors. they were purchased at Napa (i know, buy from ford) but they sure as hell went out. Is there a way to check the harness? A continuity test I can run or resistance check or anything else I can do? my truck is not chipped, straight stock. any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks!!

Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymechanic78 View Post
since last post I have been through 2 sensors. they were purchased at Napa (i know, buy from ford) but they sure as hell went out. Is there a way to check the harness? A continuity test I can run or resistance check or anything else I can do? my truck is not chipped, straight stock. any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks!!

Matt
You could just have a bad wire or connector. I would get a pig tail for it and replace. You "bad" sensors might just up and start working. It's worth a shot any way.

I would strongly urge you to go to Ford and get the updated part number CPS that is only about 15 bucks. It is supposed to be for 99 and up only but I have one in my truck and it works flawless.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
BCT
PSN Local

I thik the ford part listing actually says 97 and up. BUT it works in the older ones. The only reason they had 2 part numbers on the cps to begin with was the differing metals in the connectors. Mix them up and you'd get a dialectric situation where it would corrode the connectors. I'd check that out if I were you. I run the $15 one. if I have a corrosion problem, I'll swap the plug and off I go...

1997 F350 4x4 XLT
Not Stock
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Wheelie Dude

Send a message via AIM to bean

Look at the end of the cam sensors for faint scratches. You could have too much camshaft end play and it interupts the signal making it seem like you have a bad sensor.

Smokin' Hot Hooker- 2002 F350 Dually 4x4 6spd- 5.9 CR-
BDP Drag Truck- 81 C10-5.9CR, BTS 4R, Goes Fast

Beans Diesel Performance
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Taters #2 Fan

Send a message via AIM to JohnDeere9610 Send a message via Yahoo to JohnDeere9610

if you have to much camshaft play how do you fix it?

RDRCM# Five O

95 F350
Full Force stage 3 Hybrids
H2E
2L Motorsports Gen 3
Beans fuel system
Transmission by Jon Faubion
Tuned by the "WILDMAN"

99.5 Dodge
P-Pump 24v
2.6 puller
"Whitey"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

You could also try a shim to move the cam sensor out a little bit.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode