Brake shoes... I think? Help? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Brake shoes... I think? Help?

When I step on the brakes it shakes BAD! I have searched this forum and googled for hours and the answers seem to bounce all over the place.

The shake is felt in my seat, as I can let go of the steering wheel and no movement there what so ever.

Somebody recommended pulling the release for the E-brake while applying the E-brake... Which should test whether it is the front or rear. Did that, Ebrake slows truck with no shaking.

Stopping from faster speeds 50+ seems to have worse shake than from 30 mph?

Any suggestions... Please!!!!

Thanks,

Kp

2009 F250 4WD AUTO - H&S MINI MAXX - KEM TUNES UP TO 345 - FLO-PRO DPF CAT DELETE - S&B INTAKE - 4" RANCHO LIFT - 35" DICK CEPEK'S ON PRO COMP WHEELS (TRACTION BARS NEEDED)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 1996 F250 2WD PSD 235K 5 SPEED - DP TUNER - 3"dp 4" MBRP- BOOST AND PYRO GAUGES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 AM
PSN Local

Re: Brake shoes... I think? Help?

try new rotors and pads ? fixed my truck before from shaking. usually happens coming out of the winter

2000 f250 , 7.3 built trans, K&N intake, warn lock outs, Tonywildman , 4" down pipe to 5" silverline exhaust, ported compressor housing, 07 hd headlights,trans temp, boost, and egt gauges .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 AM
PSN Local

Have you stomped on the brakes recently? What kind of pads are you running? Ceramic pads aren't a good idea on a heavy duty truck as they have "material transfer" that when you step on the brakes hard or heat them up high enough, the material from the pad will actually melt onto the rotor causing a shaking problem similar to having warped rotors.

1995 F-250 7.3L 5 Speed, 4" Lift, 35" Toyos, Straight Pipe, DIY 6637 Intake, TS Chip with PHP Tunes, Glowshift Gauges

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Just got the truck in January, so I'm not really sure what type of pads are on there, but the strange thing is the fact there is no shaking in the front end or steering wheel, and the emergency brake does not produce any shaking at all.

2009 F250 4WD AUTO - H&S MINI MAXX - KEM TUNES UP TO 345 - FLO-PRO DPF CAT DELETE - S&B INTAKE - 4" RANCHO LIFT - 35" DICK CEPEK'S ON PRO COMP WHEELS (TRACTION BARS NEEDED)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 1996 F250 2WD PSD 235K 5 SPEED - DP TUNER - 3"dp 4" MBRP- BOOST AND PYRO GAUGES
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Sure sounds like warped rotors. Does the brake pedal pulse when it is shaking?

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Sure sounds like warped rotors. Does the brake pedal pulse when it is shaking?
That's the thing, if it were warped rotors, wouldn't I feel it in the steering wheel? I can let go of the wheel and jam on the brakes and it won't shake a bit, but I can definitely feel it in the seat.

Should I get my mind of it being the rear brakes?

I live about an hour from the nearest parts house, with 30 minutes to the nearest chain parts store. So I was hoping to get a couple ideas that I could buy on the way home...

Thanks

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPM View Post
That's the thing, if it were warped rotors, wouldn't I feel it in the steering wheel? I can let go of the wheel and jam on the brakes and it won't shake a bit, but I can definitely feel it in the seat.

Should I get my mind of it being the rear brakes?

I live about an hour from the nearest parts house, with 30 minutes to the nearest chain parts store. So I was hoping to get a couple ideas that I could buy on the way home...

Thanks
Rotor problems will not always be felt in the steering wheel. You will feel a pulse in the pedal and when the truck is almost stopped you may feel your body being 'thrown' forward and back, as if you were pushing and releasing the pedal.

brake issues that are felt in the wheel are usually caliper problems, brake line issues such as a collapsed line that runs from the frame to the wheel, or alignment issues that only show up under braking.

Rear brake issues that make you notice that there is a problem tend to be, low brake pedal caused by improperly adjusted rear brakes or a problem with the parking brake.

Hud

1995 F-350 srw, cc, auto, gutted ebpv, shot the cat, 3 pos. Tymar chip. 350,000 miles as of 2-11, will she hold together??
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Old and contaminated fluid can also make things appear rotors are warped. Brake fluid must be changed every 3 years

Back the Blue BUILD THREAD
POWERSTROKENATION-

Facebook-
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:38 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coueshunter View Post
Old and contaminated fluid can also make things appear rotors are warped. Brake fluid must be changed every 3 years
I agree on changing brake fluid but do not follow you on this old fluid making it appear that rotors are warped.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
PSN Local

resurface the rear drums.

97 F350 crew cab 8' bed, 177,000 miles, bought new. Tymar intake,3 inch downpipe 4 in exhaust back , all SS, Cat gutted,
DPTunes F6 sweet change tunes via e-mail. Sonnax goodies Line pressure modulator valve, 1-2 2-3 3-4 accumulator control valves.
New trans BB FWB, Red Eagle and Z-Pak clutchs,triple disc converter. BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode