Shifting in and out of neutral while driving? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
just learning...

Question Shifting in and out of neutral while driving?

Hey everyone, I have been thinking of other ways to get my rpms down while driving to and from work. How hard is it on an automatic tranny to shift out of drive into neutral and coast for a while then shift back to drive? I do shift into neutral long before the stop sign, then stop and shift to drive, but I was wondering about on straightaways or coming up on a red light that turns green? I know this cant be great for the tranny but does anyone else do this?

dang prices

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 f350 dually AFE Intake, Gauges, SuperChips Programmer, Auxillary tranny cooler& fan, IC, DP only.... 299,000 an still rollin.....kinda...

2000 F250 XLT-bone stock and staying that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Shifting in and out of neutral while driving?

Once you hit the brake pedal the torque converter unlocks which is the same thing as putting the truck in neutral. You won't gain anything. On the flip side shifting in and out of gear as long as you are NOT on the throttle won't hurt it at all.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Old guy from the old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Once you hit the brake pedal the torque converter unlocks which is the same thing as putting the truck in neutral. You won't gain anything. On the flip side shifting in and out of gear as long as you are NOT on the throttle won't hurt it at all.
Torque converter unlocking does not completely disconnect the engine from the rear wheels, it is like having a badly slipping clutch on a manual tranny. Neutral is a complete disconnect of the engine from the rear wheels.

I agree there is no mechanical issue with putting the truck in neutral but I would wonder if the fuel saved while you are in neutral (and losing speed) would be more than or less than the extra fuel used to get you back up to speed when you put the truck back into gear. Downhills (even slight ones) I would think would help, not sure of flat ground.

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
PSN Veteran

I would say be careful you don't put it in reverse on accident. I accidentally did that once at 10mph and made an awful noise.

2000 7.3 F-350, PHP Tunes, 5" straight pipe, intake, gauges
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Old guy from the old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieselkicksass View Post
I would say be careful you don't put it in reverse on accident. I accidentally did that once at 10mph and made an awful noise.
True enough. My brother did it with our parents car in the late sixties, did a bit of damage to the engine but not that much.

Dave / Believer45

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 PM
PSN Local

I'm fairly sure that when your foot is off the pedal and the rpms are pushed by the motor that the injectors are not delivering any fuel at all. The injectors start fueling just before idle speed is reached. So with it in gear coasting above idle rpm you are using zero fuel, in neutral you are using some fuel to keep it idling.

97 F350 crew cab 8' bed, 177,000 miles, bought new. Tymar intake,3 inch downpipe 4 in exhaust back , all SS, Cat gutted,
DPTunes F6 sweet change tunes via e-mail. Sonnax goodies Line pressure modulator valve, 1-2 2-3 3-4 accumulator control valves.
New trans BB FWB, Red Eagle and Z-Pak clutchs,triple disc converter. BUILT NOT BOUGHT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
just learning...

Sounds good guys, I have just been doing it when approaching stop signs and going down steep hills particularly when entering a lower speed limit zone at the upcoming hill so I don't spend any more extra fuel gaining speed again. When I shift to neutral the rpms drop right to 500 rpms, when I just touch the pedal an coast it drops slowly and even still when i get below 25 the gear still kicks in a the rpms go up. I am going to try to put the neutral verse torque converter to a test. I have been careful not to go to far an into reverse that would be bad

1996 f350 dually AFE Intake, Gauges, SuperChips Programmer, Auxillary tranny cooler& fan, IC, DP only.... 299,000 an still rollin.....kinda...

2000 F250 XLT-bone stock and staying that way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode