d50 life? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
The original $5 foot long

d50 life?

Is there a ball park time range of how long a d50 setup will last before needing a bunch of $$$ put into it?

I think mines in good shape, my tires seem to be straight up and down and dont show any wear on the inside, doesnt make any noise noticeably or anything either.

It is my DD but if I dont don any off roading or mudding at all and only put on 10-15k miles a year, would it maybe be a couple years before needing any work?

I know the d60 is better, but Im not asking about it.

Whats a good fairly cheap smaller lift for these axles? I would just want 2.5-4", somewhere around there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Re: d50 life?

My truck was purchased new by my dad, has always been maintained properly, never worked hard and basically used as a DD. I bought it in Feb '10 with 107k miles. Every bushing in the front end was shot, the leafs were sagging and the right upper ball joint was toast.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Dreams of owning cclb

I do use mine offroad and it is hard on your pivot bushings. But I just put in some polyurethane bushings this past weekend and I am anxious to see how it lasts. I have put 20+thousand miles on mine over the past couple years and overall even with offroading and trailer haul it has faired well. O and as far as a lift I know some people have had bad luck but I have liked my Ranchhand(it was the cheapest 4" lift I could find). It solved my front leaf sag and I like the look of the truck alot better.

97 F250HD 4x4-3:55s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,ts 6 pos chip(tuned by [email protected]), 3'' downpipe to custom 5" straight exhaust, diy 6637 intake, Beans Stage 1s, CCV mod, Beans Non-EBPV pedestal, Stancor Relay, 6.0 IC, 16x10 American Racing Outlaw IIs, 4" Rough Country lift, 285/75/16s

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97obs View Post
I do use mine offroad and it is hard on your pivot bushings. But I just put in some polyurethane bushings this past weekend and I am anxious to see how it lasts. I have put 20+thousand miles on mine over the past couple years and overall even with offroading and trailer haul it has faired well. O and as far as a lift I know some people have had bad luck but I have liked my Ranchhand(it was the cheapest 4" lift I could find). It solved my front leaf sag and I like the look of the truck alot better.
Thats one I looked at too....

Is the front end going out something you will see signs of along the way?

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
PSN Veteran

IMO..bushings are shot in as fast a 25k miles..esp the front shackle as its the only way the syspension can flex is by destroying the bushing.

D50 itself will last as long as as a front axle normally lasts

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Is that the main thing that gives out is the bushings? How much is it to replace them?

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 AM
PSN Local

They wanted 750.00 here to put in two pivot bushings and align it....... even though i had the one bushing all but 1/8 inch in they said they would have to put in there own bushing for what looked like a pretty simple job, those pivot bushings suck to replace.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94.5stroker View Post
They wanted 750.00 here to put in two pivot bushings and align it....... even though i had the one bushing all but 1/8 inch in they said they would have to put in there own bushing for what looked like a pretty simple job, those pivot bushings suck to replace.
And in some places you can buy a complete dana 60 front axle for an obs for around that price.

02 f250
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94.5stroker View Post
holly bananas! 750 bills! i just put in new tie rods,drag link and center link with new sleaves. when i got it aligned the shop said for extra 50 per side and labor they would replace them bushings they where at -.06 or something in that area and i said no let go i want to swap in a d60 later!

1996 F-250,Ext.cab,LB,4x4
stock tires

180K,6 pos chip,Open air filter, 3'' down pipe,fpr mod,ccv mod
4.10s gears!
Boost, Pryo and transmission gauges
sonnax shift improver kit
bronco tank mod
hayden cooler for transmission

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendricksbus View Post
holly bananas! 750 bills! i just put in new tie rods,drag link and center link with new sleaves. when i got it aligned the shop said for extra 50 per side and labor they would replace them bushings they where at -.06 or something in that area and i said no let go i want to swap in a d60 later!
Yeah I know I couldn't believe it....... I was planning on a couple hundred cause I'm in a bigger town(Manhattan KS) and it's a college town so I figured it would be a lil high but I bout crapped myself when I saw the quote they came up with. I guess I'll just try the shade-tree-mechanic way of aligning it and hopefully limp it the 180 miles back home to get it done. Guy back home said he would do it and the alignment for under 200, and he would even use the bushings I already have...... dammm cities

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode