Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1st and reverse almost impossible

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BIG_RED 
#1 ·
so when i push the clutch and try to go into reverse or 1st it just wont go. they engage alot easier when the truck is rolling. gears dont grind except for third but double clutching solves that. the truck tries to creep in 1st and reverse but if i shift before the truck is started its no problem getting them in.

#3 ·
no change hot or cold. stock clutch engages right off the floor. is that about right?

#7 ·
175k miles. it tries to creep when im pushing it into gear

#8 ·
I've installed a couple clutches in SD w/ 7.3's for this problem. On both trucks the friction plate was coming apart at the dampner springs. Had a 6.0 chevy with same problem, clutch disc was worn to the rivets & the slave ( inside the bell housing ) was weak.

#9 ·
so what would you recomend to go about fixing the problem. its a pre SD powerstroke

#10 ·
Kinda sounds like slave cyclinder to me.. Check and see how far it moves when you push in the clutch

#12 ·
Check and see how far it moves when you push in the clutch
+1; have an assistant work the pedal while you measure the travel at the end of the fork. Should be about 1/2-9/16".

If it's at least that, then they hydraulics and pedal bits are good, the fork is moving as it should, and that leaves the pressure plate fingers === new clutch time.

If the movement is less than that, the problem is "upstream"; bad hydraulics, the bushings in the pedal box are sloppy (including that infernal bushing between the arm and the pushrod), possibly (but very unlikely) even the firewall flexing (supposedly fixed before '95). If it's the hydraulics, I strongly recommend getting a pre-bled kit; waaaay easier to install, and chances are, if it's, say, the slave that's gone, the master isn't too far behind (or vice-versa).

Edit: while you're under there, watch out for leaking fluid; it's brake fluid and nasty stuff. Wear eye protection, in case it is leaking hydraulics.

#11 ·
my truck was doing the same thing. swapped out the clutch/PP to a valair and no problems.

clutch engages in the middle again...no changing the master/slave cylinder.

then again...that was my experience.

bj

#13 ·
just making sure i measured the right piece. its on the driver side of the tranny and pushes that tab hanging out of the tranny right?

#15 ·
so i worked on it a little more and im 85% sure its the clutch. the plates are pretty worn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.