Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1994 7.3 idi or di

18K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kolby.l.ingram.07 
#1 ·
I just bought a truck its a 1994 7.3 turbo diesel 8th # in sequence is a K. i need to know if this is a idi 7.3 or a di 7.3 let me know how to tell the difference. i dont have the truck here to look at but i do have a picture of the motor.

#2 ·
Should be a plastic cover on top that says turbo in the middle and direct injected around that.

#15 ·
i have a 1994 7.3 powerstroke i was putting new fuel lines in it and found out one of my pressure lines was broken anyone know where i could find some new ones i looked all over facebook market place and couldnt find any and ive checked some junk yards hoping i'd maybe find some old ones i could restore and put on but no luck anyone have any ideas, i'm in denison texas, area

#8 ·
ok next question i need a new motor can i use any 7.3 idi block and bolt the turbo on or does it have to be a 94? i have found a 94 with a 7.3 non turbo out of a uhaul e-350 with 9000 miles on it but not sure if it will work let me know what you think? did they offer the 7.3 di in 94 or was that in 95? i am looking for my best option for replacement without braking the bank.

#14 ·
yes an idi 7.3 engine will work. the one in the e-350 should be the same or the 90' for that matter. the 7.3 DI (powerstroke) was introduced in "mid" 94'. I say that b/c mine was built in 5/94. i dont consider that late in the year as some people will say. good luck with the swap.

#10 ·
They offered a factory turbo option in 93 and 94 so if you need a new block, i would look at those years. Not sure about the E series one you found. Yes they did offer a DI in 94, it was the late 94 production.

#12 ·
ok i also have a 1990 ford f-350 with the 7.3 idi nonturbo this vin also has an m in the 8th position so the 1990 truck and the 1994 van should have the same motor right? so as long as the truck with the turbo recives a motor from 90-94 7.3 idi the turbo should bolt up? let me know your thoughts

#13 ·
yea that's def a IDI, you could use any year IDI block, they're all the same, just a few differences on vacuum pumps but other then that you should be able to run that motor with the turbo matching right up. The only difference might be the "G" code injectors for the factory turbo that just spurt a bit more fuel, you should be able to swap them from the old motor no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.