Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lost all oil, truck stalled

6K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  woodduck97 
#1 ·
The truck was running fine all day going to help a buddy with blown tire. On the way I was cruising around 50 mph in OD, I rolled in to the throttle to pass someone, downshifted to third but let off when I decided not to pass. I then all of a sudden, the truck had no power. It would not rev past 1500. Then the CEL came on as I was pulling off the side of the road. As I was pulling over, the engine died. My buddy and I got out and noticed oil all over the ground and on the underside of the truck. There was about a mile long oil trail up the road. Then we opened up the hood, there was a decent amount of oil spray along with some oil in the valley. I'm hoping that it was a oil line to the turbo or something. There wasn't a boom or bang or anything. Just a sudden loss of power and then stall. I towed it to a shop. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Not likely. Once the oil gets low enough the HPOP shuts down before engine supply get too low. I read somewhere that it's 4 quarts low that the HPOP fails to pick up oil from the pan. I have done it a few times because of a nagging pedestal leak.

#5 ·
Oh shoot man, you need any help you let me know. I agree, the fact that it stalled out means it was trying to protect itself from any further damage. It threw the code, you just gotta get the code and figure out what went wrong.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm hoping that it was a oil line to the turbo or something.
There is no oil line to the turbo, it runs through the pedestal. Throw some oil in it and see where it leaks out while its running. It sounds like it's bad enough it should be pretty easy to find. It will take a few turns over to put oil back in the HPOP, and then it may run like crap for a minute.

#10 ·
Same thing happened to my truck two weeks ago check the hpop lines that feed the heads. they are braided lines u may have to pull off the wire loom they have on them from the factory. mine blew out on the drive side head. and the 4 quart low shoot down not true my truck kept running then did the same thing it leaked out 10 quarts of oil. i would bet its those lines if u never changed them and they are original. i feel u man it sucks to clean up to. i washed my engine bay down with this stuff from home depot called industrail purple awesome stuff dont even waste ur money on engine degreaser.

#14 ·
HPOP O-rings or High Pressure line to the heads
:whs::whs:
when I blew an hpop line on my E350, I didn't make it a mile, and there was no starting it until the leak was fixed because the hpo sys could not build enough pressure to start it. If it is the line, replace both. btw I didn't do any damage to my engine b/c it quit before it ran out of oil.

#12 ·
HPOP O-rings or High Pressure line to the heads

#16 ·
lines are expensive but there are only 2 on a stock motor, about $120 a piece but the labor should be nil for the second line, also have them replace every oring relating to the hpop sys if you can afford it. I did mine myself so it was parts only.

#18 ·
if you wrench on your stuff yourself you can do the bare minimum at the shop and do the other work yourself but don't wait on the second line, if one went, the other ain't too far behind.

#21 ·
90% sure dealer or site sponsor only, I have heard of guys having them custom made and saved them some $, but probably not an option for a quick turn around.

#22 ·
I think either way, I'm going to end up taking it from where ever I get it. The shop isn't open today so hopefully they can get it back to me tomorrow night. I can't imagine it taking more than a day unless they have to wait on parts assuming it ends up being the HPO line.

#23 ·
So the shop just called. Here's the break down of costs. The from the HPOP to the head blew. I'm having both sides replaced just to be safe. Talk about a bad holiday weekend.

Tow $177
Parts $400 (both hoses and o rings)
Oil $ 12
Labor $150
Tax @ 8%
Total $801.36

#34 ·
I was looking for something else so I just popped in the parts numbers at TitusWill Ford Parts for you.

F6TZ-9A332-A TUBE - FUEL SUPPLY $60.20
F6TZ-9J323-A TUBE ASSEMBLY $72.06

I hope on the Labor that includes at least some cleanup of the oil.

#24 ·
hydrolic shop can make the lines alot cheeper.thats where I got my fuel retuen lines for 1/2 what ford wanted.!

#27 ·
Yeah dude it sucks. Honestly, I'm not sure if I want to keep putting money into this truck. We never had any trouble with our Expedition. I may be getting a F150 after all this. I think I can get a decent price for it considering it only has 108k on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.