leaking exhaust manifolds - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

leaking exhaust manifolds

what are yall doin for leaking manifolds? both mine are leaking at the back cylinders are yall resufacing the manifolds and or head surfaces ? the bolts are still in there.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
Re: leaking exhaust manifolds

I would just pull the manifold and have it trued up. There are also gaskets available but I would get is true first.

Tom
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Coat them down with (bolts) some anti seize spray WD 40 or PB Blaster...I would do it over a number of days prior to tackling the job.

Mine on the rear of block actually popped the bolt heads off the manifold (driver's side) and the remainder of bolts had seized in the manifold. I was able to cut the manifold bolts off with a sawzall leaving as much stud as possible. Went to Sears and bought some stud/bolt extractors not sure what they are called.....look like a socket with spiral teeth inside to grip rounded boltheads or studs...worked awesome....on re-install use a quality anti seize paste....

Good idea Tom to resurface manifolds....I used the gaskets and has worked fine.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Work in progress

Just got done doing mine. Like JCart said SOAK them with PB blaster for at least a couple of days. all mine came right out except for 1. the third one from the back on both sides is a PITA. For some reason the hole where the bolt goes thew the manifold is smaller then the rest and likes to seize up. If it isnt turning heat up the manifold and it will come out. I planed the manifolds and used IH gaskets

Exhaust Bolts M8X30 Hex FL HD
IH 16182513C1

Manifold to up pipe bolts
Ford W300013
IH 1821640C1

Exhaust manifold gaskets
Ford F4TZ-9448-A
IH 1814219C1

For IH just say is for a T444E

2001 F-250 4X4 LARIAT Crew Cab,7.3, ZF6
GTX-4294r, Swamps 300/200%
couple other bolt ons

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Also you can get to the vast majority of them the impact with an impact swivel or a swivel socket.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

^That is how I got all of mine out except for the driver rear. Got that one out with a left handed bit.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Work in progress

forgot to mention that I took my inner fender wells out.
Also use anti seize when putting it back together!

2001 F-250 4X4 LARIAT Crew Cab,7.3, ZF6
GTX-4294r, Swamps 300/200%
couple other bolt ons

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

I was at the stealership today and they had no idea about the gaskets, I will see if one of the local machine shops can work on them

Thanks!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE View Post
I was at the stealership today and they had no idea about the gaskets, I will see if one of the local machine shops can work on them

Thanks!!
Let me know if you need a set of manifolds I have a set. Fel pro has the gaskets iirc.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

I may take you up on that set Allen then I can get them surfaced, blasted, and coated. I may still put the gaskets just to make sure

I have been soaking them every once and a while getting ready for this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode