power steering help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

power steering help

Well i think my pump may be on the way out. Tell me if you agree.

Its hard/nearly impossible to turn at a stop. Going around sharper corners while moving is hard if im not accelerating through them, its only hard when im braking or rolling through them.

If i give it a little gas then it turns fine. And it seems fine on any normal driving. Just the slower/sharper turns it has problems.

Oh and when going around a corner i can turn the wheel and let go and it wont go back to center. Its like it sticks there.
If its not the pump could be something binding or griding in the front end. Maybe a steering box thats shot? What else could make it so hard to turn?
I know ball joints and stuff are bad and i have a clunking when turning sharp, but none of that should affect turning right?

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: power steering help

Depending on how bad your ball joints are, yes they could affect your steering. They are what the knuckles turn on. You should also check your belt and make sure it isn't stretched out to the point that the tensioner is at it's limit, allowing the belt to slip some on the power steering pump. Do you have a lot of play in the steering when driving down the road? If you do, that is a good sign of a steering box in need of adjustment. The box also could be past the point of being adjustable.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Depending on how bad your ball joints are, yes they could affect your steering. They are what the knuckles turn on. You should also check your belt and make sure it isn't stretched out to the point that the tensioner is at it's limit, allowing the belt to slip some on the power steering pump. Do you have a lot of play in the steering when driving down the road? If you do, that is a good sign of a steering box in need of adjustment. The box also could be past the point of being adjustable.
Yeah there is probably 2 inchs both directions.... so ya a good amount of play in the wheel that has always been there though, so i know the steering box needs attention. Just wasnt sure if that could cause my recent steering problems.

I think i will run it in to les schwab and have their professionals look it over and tell me what needs fixed, then i'll buy parts and do it myself

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Underfunded

Send a message via AIM to moonshiner

I was having similiar problems with my steering, turned out to be the gear box

1996 F350: 4.10's Detroit Locked Front/Rear, Rampage Chip, SD/Racor E-Fuel, Adrenaline, 160cc's, Bell SS/66 Turbo, SD CAC, 315/75/16's Fierce M/Ts, 6" Lift, 6ft Traction Bars, 5" Stacks.

2007 Harley FXSTB: Bassani Prostreet Pipes, Terry Comp tuner, V&H Air Cleaner

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
I was having similiar problems with my steering, turned out to be the gear box
Thats what i like to hear. I am replacing it soon

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode