A/C -> Onboard Air - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Underfunded

Send a message via AIM to moonshiner
A/C -> Onboard Air

Is it possible to use my A/C compressor for onboard air while retaining the heater? How many CFM and PSI do the A/C units put out?

1996 F350: 4.10's Detroit Locked Front/Rear, Rampage Chip, SD/Racor E-Fuel, Adrenaline, 160cc's, Bell SS/66 Turbo, SD CAC, 315/75/16's Fierce M/Ts, 6" Lift, 6ft Traction Bars, 5" Stacks.

2007 Harley FXSTB: Bassani Prostreet Pipes, Terry Comp tuner, V&H Air Cleaner

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM
PSN Pretender

Re: A/C -> Onboard Air

It is possible, I looked into this a while back for my old truck. I will take a little time to figure out the details, but a really cool mod.

Try searching on the 4X4 forums.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Underfunded

So far unable to find anything on Pirate4x4, most folks are using Vlair onboard systems.

1996 F350: 4.10's Detroit Locked Front/Rear, Rampage Chip, SD/Racor E-Fuel, Adrenaline, 160cc's, Bell SS/66 Turbo, SD CAC, 315/75/16's Fierce M/Ts, 6" Lift, 6ft Traction Bars, 5" Stacks.

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Yes it is possible to do but by the time you gather all of the materials you will need to do it and the amount of effort required the cost outweighs the gain. You would be money ahead by just installing a prebuilt system. The other issue is that if you mess up building a system the pressures that come off the high side of an a/c compressor could kill you. For example you would have a storage tank capable of hold around 150 psi. The high side is capable of producing pressures in the neighborhood of 500 psi which is in the extreme but is more than enough to burst a holding tank or line and seriously injure you or kill you. If you are dead set on doing it though, you will need a pressure limiting switch, a single pole switch, a tank of your chosing in size, and an air breather.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Waitin' on 500

I think youd be alot cheaper just buy a viair system. I have one and i have no complaints about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Single Cab Dually
S366 w/Irate mount and plenums, EFuel, Intercooler, P.I.S 175/80s,
Corbeau seats w 08 console, 19.5s, Black Interior with swede headliner and visors,
Custom badges, Flight Fab/DIY traction bars.

2012 CCSB F250 Ultimate Lariat.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 AM
PSN Veteran

If you do that, make sure you oil the compressor somehow....they will lock up tight without oil supply. It is part of the charge for the ac sys FYI.

I do not know the output of the pump, but it would be decent.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 AM
PSN Veteran

You have to use a compressor that uses crankcase oil like the old ones (big). The refrigerant carries the oil on modern systems. Also a safety blowoff valve is a required in my book just to be safe as well.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Underfunded

Well slap me sideways! 500psi! holy great balls batman!
Alright... transfer to a new plan... When I delete the A/C can I keep my heater and where bouts can I source that A/C delete pulley?
Or Ive seen rigs with 2 alternators, how are those regulated so they dont blow the batteries?
Anyone have experience with the welders that powered by the serpentine belt system? Their name escapes me at the moment.

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Underfunded

Could I plumb my crankcase vent into the suction side of the compressor after a filter to oil the pump and then put a filter/separator on the pressure side?
For the tank I could probably install a 150psi shutoff switch run to the compressor, or a 150 psi blowoff valve?
When I made some air cannons we also used Air-compressor regulators to regulate the Co2 from the bottles (800psi) down to 100 psi, how could I plumb in a regulator on the pressure side to allow only 150psi and to stop over-pressurization of the holding tank?

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 PM
PSN Pretender

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
Could I plumb my crankcase vent into the suction side of the compressor after a filter to oil the pump and then put a filter/separator on the pressure side? Interesting idea, it would not be the same oil as the compressor runs. You would have to be creative in case the pump doesn't move the same amount of air as the breather, and some type of bypass when the pump is off.

For the tank I could probably install a 150psi shutoff switch run to the compressor, or a 150 psi blowoff valve?I would use both, but set your pressure switch to like 120 psi then use a blow off valve set for around 150 psi.

When I made some air cannons we also used Air-compressor regulators to regulate the Co2 from the bottles (800psi) down to 100 psi, how could I plumb in a regulator on the pressure side to allow only 150psi and to stop over-pressurization of the holding tank?
That is the function of the pressure switch, to de-energize the compressor clutch when desired pressure is reached.
See RED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode