got a few quick maintenance questions... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96
got a few quick maintenance questions...

so im going to be changing the oil and thermostat pretty soon and i have a few quick questions,
first how much if any coolant do i have to drain out so it doesnt pour down the front of the block when i take the gooseneck off?
second, the coolant is pretty fresh still i can put it back in after i drain it out?
and finally, im changing from rotella to delvac when i do the oil so i figured it would be a good idea to drain the hpop resivoir.. how do i do that?
thanks guys

Refugee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: got a few quick maintenance questions...

You should drain about a gallon out of the radiator. You will still have some that will run down the engine though. It is impossible to prevent any from spilling. If the coolant you drain is clean then yes you can put it back in. There is a plug with a 3/16" allen head in the top of the resevoir. You have to pull the plug and use a suction tool to drain the resevoir.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Yes you can reuse the coolant but make sure you catch it into something clean. I think i drained a little more than a gallon when i did my stat. but ya you will leak some so i would just have a hose ready and dont let your dog outside.

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Offical Puddle Displacer

thanks for tha quick replies i ascually got it finished up around an hour ago. i catched it in a clean bucket and poured it back in, i didnt hardly loose any at all,
also on a side note advanced auto has motorcraft fuel filters for only $20 sire beats the $36 from the dealer

Refugee
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Offical Puddle Displacer

so this morning i went down to walmart and got my oil, stopped at dunkin donuts and when i got home the temp gauge in the dash was all the way into the red, popped the hood and the top radiator hose wasnt even as hot as my coffee. so im gonna go with the fact that the gauge crapped out. i no there not a terribly relaible source but id like it to work or would i just be wasting my time and money. down the road am going to get a set of aftermarket gauges but i want something to hold me over to then
also the sending unit was replaced less than 5k ago

Refugee
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Are you sure you're not still air-locked? Did you squeeze the top hose thoroughly to see if there's air in it or water?

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Offical Puddle Displacer

i squeezed it and ie was pretty hard it didnt seem to be air locked i could also hear the water being pushed through when i did

Refugee
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Offical Puddle Displacer

what could i do to make sure its not airlocked. i drove it some more and it did the same thing but this time the upper hose isnt as hard.

Refugee
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Hose is only going to be hard when the stat opens up and coolant starts flowing through the system. Sure you put it in right? Not upside down?

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 PM
PSN Veteran

I don't have any sure-fire ways, I massaged the heck out of the top hose and kept topping it off with the radiator cap off and th engine running.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode