Black brake fluid in resevoir - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Black brake fluid in resevoir

My brake fluid is black in the resevoir. I wanna change it out. do i just start with the furthest one (pass rear) and open the bleeder and keep pumping till the fluid runs clear? While i'm doing I will this keep topping up the resevoir. Then once its clear do the same with the driver rear then pass front and lastly driver front.

95 f250 12Vcummins 215pump, banks intercooler, diy electric fuel system,4K GSK, 100 fuel plate, 60LB intake/exhaust valve springs, sbc 13inch conofe in a zf5, 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back, plantdrive wvo system, (egt, boost, fuel pressure, cooliant, wvo temp gauges),bronco tank mod ,Dana 60 swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Black brake fluid in resevoir

I would probably suck out as much of the existing fluid in the reservoir and refilling it with fresh before starting. Don't forget that the RABS valve has a bleeder as well. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

Definately suck out as much as you can first and refil with clean fluid. Then Flush the system with new, clean fluid. Don't use some that has been opened and sat as it can adsorb moisture. A power bleeder is useful to have or you can make your own from a 1 or 2 gal pesticide sprayer. Motive makes one that a lot of my friends use on their cars and trucks:Motive Products It works the very same way as the professional power flushing systems, just on a smaller scale. You connect the hose with the universal adapter to the opening of the master cylinder reservoir and dump two quarts of new fluid into the tank and pump it up to 15 PSI and then run around and bleed it out of the wheel cylinders. I was able to flush the brake systems in all three of my vehicles in about an hour and a half. It is fast and really easy to use. For the money it is a must have item. Many shops charge well over $100 to flush a brake system. You can get one of these tanks and do it yourself for $49.95 for the tanks and $20 in new fluid. From then on all you need is the fluid. One advantage is you do not push dirt/debris into the master cylinder if you were to pump fluid with the brake pedal-this will help to avoid ABS problems bigtime.

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

And I would recommend you start with Rt rear first just like you said, and end up at Frt left--> Farthest from master cylinder to closest.

Centxdiesel

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

There are some good directions on the web to make your own pressure bleeder from a pestiside sprayer. I have a home made one and it works really good and I have used it on other guys vehicles as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
There are some good directions on the web to make your own pressure bleeder from a pestiside sprayer. I have a home made one and it works really good and I have used it on other guys vehicles as well.
i found a good one hear, thanx for the tip

bleeder

95 f250 12Vcummins 215pump, banks intercooler, diy electric fuel system,4K GSK, 100 fuel plate, 60LB intake/exhaust valve springs, sbc 13inch conofe in a zf5, 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back, plantdrive wvo system, (egt, boost, fuel pressure, cooliant, wvo temp gauges),bronco tank mod ,Dana 60 swap
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Yep that is the one I used as a guide to build mine.

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:23 AM
PSN Local

a Mighty vac in the situation is your best friend yea suck as much out of the resivor you can then refill with new fluid. then start on the rear left crack the bleader open and use a line toi slip over it or a mighty vac system and pump till the fluid is clean and bubles are gone. then go LR wheel Rf wheel then LF wheel when doing this make sure you check the master cylbder has fluid you don't want to pump the master cylinder dry so either keep toping it off or tip the bottle upside down and leave it in the resivor it won't over fill

1995 Ford F250 4X4 Sup cab Long bed off white
7.3L Powerstroke, 5 speed manual

Mods Stancor GPR, Diamond eye 3" DP, Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust, AFE Stage II,
Banks 5" Tips,Dana 60 Swap,Electric Fuel System,Swamps IDM,Adrenaline HPOP,AutoMeter Boost,Pyro,Fuel Pressure arp head and main studs,d66 turbo,
stage 1 injectors,6.0 intercooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode