how can i test or tell when i have a bad idm - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via MSN to lopp
how can i test or tell when i have a bad idm

a few months agothe truck wouldnt start sop i drained the fuel bowl replaced the fuel in it go it started and then took it for a drive stalled had it pulled home by a friend, found out the maxi 22 fuse blew didnt want to start and it was hard working on it outside in the cold but i still did on occation between school and work, i just drove my car. it didnt want to smoke at all even while cranking with block heater plugged in for hours, but on occation it would. it started one day but idle rough around 300-500 rpms, i held the pedal down to about 1000 rpms to see if it would smooth out didnt really want to floor it bc it was cold let it idle down shut the door, but still running rough shut the door and turned my back and it stalled tried to start again with no sucess not even smoke while cranking gave up.

the tach moves while cranking and so does the oil pressure. it getting fuel pressure and everything. wait to start light comes on. a friend of the family came over with a computer to see if there was codes but i guess the batteries were to dead and it would just shut the power to the code reader off and would disconnect from the computer. and hes hasnt had time to come over and ive tried to call him with no response. so im kinda left in the dark getting pissed. is there any way to test the idm and the ecm with out a code reader. it cranks over fast and strong, its just like the injectors dont want to fire. will run off either with glow plug disconnected. i have checked everything i can think of, it has to come down to one of these two thing and with them both being over 250 i dont want to blow money i dont really have to blow. i would rather spend it on something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: how can i test or tell when i have a bad idm

Your fuel bowl heater shorted out blowing fuse 22. That also controls power to the PCM. Unplug the heater plug from the fuel bowl, check/replace fuses as necessary and try again.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i have. i unpluged it out side of it and then decided to take the element out of the bowl too. i never pluged it back in on the outside would that affect anything? i changed the fuse and it hasnt blow while cranking but it still wont start. i took the idm apart to see if it was croded and that but it looks brand new inside. it was smoking before while cranking but now it wont. it like the injector arent even fireing. i can spray either in it and it will run off that nut it just wont start. im just really confuse. tach moves while cranking, cranks fast and sounds free just wont fire over. no smoke. only time i get a little smoke is while on either and i hate using it. has brand new rebulit start bc i killed the other one. there oil pressure. strong batteries.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 AM
PSN Veteran

mine is doing the exact same thing right now, im leaning towards it being a bad idm also
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

You need to hook a scanner to it. You aren't getting fuel. If it runs off the ether then it will run. You need to find out if the IPR is working. How do you know you have fuel pressure? Just because you have fuel in the bowl doesn't mean that you have enough pressure for it to run. Have you also checked to see if your HPOP resevoir is full?

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

im waiting on the a##hole to come over with the computer. i have check the hpop reswior andit is full, i'll have to pick up a gauge to test the fuel pressure, can i just presurize the tank to act like the fuel pump. i think i seen some where on here that fuel pressure supose to be around 50 psi for the superduty is it the same for the obs trucks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 AM
PSN Local

I had the same problem a few months ago, from what it sounds like it's the IDM. When you plug the scanner I doubt you will find codes, mine didnt throw any. I replaced everything UVCH, CPS, fuel pump, IPR valve, injector o rings and nothing...wouldnt even smoke. It would only run on ether. There is no way to test, it either works or it doesnt. PM me and I'll tell you where I found mine fairly inexpensive. When I put the new IDM in the truck fired instantly.
Proaudioguy likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Demon Dually

Actually you can test to see if the IDM works. If your scanner can do an injector buzz test you would know whether or not the injectors are firing and if none of the injectors buzz then you can guarantee it is the IDM.
Proaudioguy likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Actually you can test to see if the IDM works. If your scanner can do an injector buzz test you would know whether or not the injectors are firing and if none of the injectors buzz then you can guarantee it is the IDM.
what if you do the injector buzz and only the driver side odd bank fires?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Thanks for searching but this thread is 9 years old. None of these people are here anymore. Easiest way to test one is to put in one that you know works.

I would check over your uvch on the side that doesn’t work.
masakimm and Blue-Truck-Nut97 like this.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in