Trucks dying? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
#2 diesel only

Trucks dying?

My trucks symptoms:
Only at a idle will it just die. I was driving, came to a stop and it died, started it up and was talkin to my friend, in park, and it just died. Its done this four times now, all at idle.
I believe the camshaft postion sensor has been fixed, but i personally have not. It was owned by the city of southlake, TX. So maintenence has been kept to a key.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

1997 F-250 single cab long bed 2WD
Dont be an ass, It's uncouth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Trucks dying?

Cps do fail. You can't just fix them. I'm not sure thats your problem but It's possible. Have you checked your fuel pressure at idle?

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
#2 diesel only

I know there is a recall. So fix was a lack of better words. I believe that the recall has been fixed. No, I have no way or knowledge of how to check it.
It idles perfectly fine.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Two things to check. First and foremost is the CPS. depending on whether or not it was replaced with an International or Ford part or part store special is the determining factor. If it was the part store special replace it with one from Ford or International. They are cheap enough. The other thing to look at is the IVS(idle validation switch) on the throttle pedal assembly. They can and do go bad which could cause your problem. Is the engine light coming on before it stalls out? You should get it hooked up to a quality scan tool(snap-on, auto enginuity, etc) and have the codes read. This could help in diagnosing what is causing it to shut off.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
#2 diesel only

Thereis no DTC or engine light that comes one.
Is there a way to check if the sensors are 100%?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 AM
PSN Local

IPR o-rings could be bad. Does this happen when the truck is at operating temperature? When the oil is thin, it can bypass the o-rings in the IPR causing your truck to stall.

02 F-250 4X4 CCLB, E99 F350 9' utility bed, 08 F450 11' utility bed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Yep sure can test the sensors so to speak. You have to put it on a scan tool that is capable of reading your truck. No the scanner at Advance, Autozone, O'rielly's, NAPA, etc, etc. won't work. You need a Snap-on, Auto Enginuity, or other high end scanner to read our trucks.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode