Auto Trans pours! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Auto Trans pours!

Looking for info as to why my 1996 F350 PSD Auto Transmission would pour fluid after pulling a load for a short while. It shifts fine under normal driving day to day and does not leak a drop. If I hook up to a load it will start pouring fluid out from front of tranny. It will stop after unhooking from load and allow trans to cool but will snatch a knot in your neck when shifting for a few days. The hard shift clears up and does not concern me as much as the puking of fluid after putting it under a load. Truck has 205k miles and has been for the most part trouble free. I have had the trans flushed back before this pouring started. The service guy broke off one of the lines to the cooler so he replaced the cooler. Could the cooler be too small and causing the tranny to overheat? Any advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

TCinSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Auto Trans pours!

it is over heating the fluid.get a trans gauge and a bigger cooler be sure your cooler is not plugging up, been there done that

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the cooler. Any recommendations on a replacement?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Get a trucool from Dieselsite. Its 120 bucks.

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

I got a Hayden "DAWG" cooler/fan combo that came with my new trans. It is sickening. The cooler and fan combo fit perfectly in place of the factory cooler but it is four times the size and has even lowered the temp of the regular cooling system a bit. The leak from the front of the trans is either the front input shaft seal, the o-ring seal around the pump to housing, or the pump itself has a crack. Most likely the input seal is leaking under the high heat pressures though. I would suspect that you are in need of a flushing out of your cooler or upgrade it all together. Make sure you disconnect the trans lines and blow/flush them out as well. Would be a good time for a trans fluid change as well.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 PM
PSN Veteran

is it coming from behind the torque convertor or coming strait out the dip stick? if its coming out the dip stick tube it is likeley overheating, if its comping from behind the tourque convertor you have another issue.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode