Valve cover gasket bad?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Valve cover gasket bad??

How can you tell if a valve cover gasket is bad? I just bought my truck and it feels sluggish and underpowered and idles like 1 cylinder is firing good.And when the truck is cold and i try to drive it it will bearly move (i mean bearly)until it gets some temp in the engine. I had the truck running and pulled the plugs on the passenger side and the idle changed a little, but when i pulled the one on the drivers side the idle got alot worse. I just want to know for sure before i do all the work pulling the valve cover off. I am taking it to someone tomorrow to run a diagnostic to see.... Thanks for the help guys.

96 f-250 5 speed, 4x4, 6637 intake, 3" down pipe to straight pipe, swamps tunes, Rosewood stage 1`s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 AM
I know nothing...

Re: Valve cover gasket bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
How can you tell if a valve cover gasket is bad? I just bought my truck and it feels sluggish and underpowered and idles like 1 cylinder is firing good.And when the truck is cold and i try to drive it it will bearly move (i mean bearly)until it gets some temp in the engine. I had the truck running and pulled the plugs on the passenger side and the idle changed a little, but when i pulled the one on the drivers side the idle got alot worse. I just want to know for sure before i do all the work pulling the valve cover off. I am taking it to someone tomorrow to run a diagnostic to see.... Thanks for the help guys.
Wait... You say you pulled the UVCH plugs and it made little diff? There's your answer! Advanced carries them for $45 a side including new GP and inj plugs.

Doesn't roll with anyone or tag along to be cool...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thats what i assumed i just want clarification before i tackled that.

96 f-250 5 speed, 4x4, 6637 intake, 3" down pipe to straight pipe, swamps tunes, Rosewood stage 1`s

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If he gasket is bad will it set off a check engine light?? I took my truck to someone this moring to hook to a computer and the guy i took it to said a check engine light would come on if that was the problem... what is your expierence with this??

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Any body ever have this problem??

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Whoever you took it to doesn't know these trucks very well apparently. The light may or may not come on depending on whether or not the circuit shorts to ground in which case the IDM will shut down that bank in order to prevent damage. You can pull the valve cover and visibly check the harnesses for damage. If it were me I would go ahead and replace the glow plugs and UVC harnesses while I am in there if you haven't done them before since buying the truck as it is excellent preventative maintenance.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

so it won`t always cause a check engine light? I was thinking i had my problem figured out til he said that lol. I think i will go ahead and change and the it just to see if thats it, if that doesn`t fix it it must be an injector. Is there anyway to test it before i change it just to be sure?? He is going to trouble shoot it for me.... but i just want to know of any other way!! He told me the check engine light would come on b/c of high or low voltage going to the injectors or something like that, not sure exactly what he said.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Yes there is a way to check things over without him if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. I will post a pin out test you can perform by pulling the connector and using a meter check these pins for problems. This is the best way I know of testing both the glow plugs and injector harnesses both external and internal in one shot. If you do fine an issue you will have to unplug the harnesses at the valve cover gaskets to farther diagnose the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GB_Tech_Bulletin_103_Ford IDM_Module_Replacement.pdf (710.5 KB, 39 views)

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks alot speeddemon, i do have a multimeter and i will check into this. Again thanks for helping me with my problem.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Demon Dually

No problem bud. I know there are guys on this forum that have to be near you. Somebody give the new guy a hand will ya. If I had already moved I would offer to help but I am way too far away to drive to the lonestar state. Moving to Kentucky in another month or two. Then I won't be near as far from most of the guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in