Turbo question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Question Turbo question

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, and have very newbie questions.

I have a pedestal leak and I'm going to fix it soon. Since I'm going in there I figured why not replace the downpipe with a good free flowing one, do my exhaust system, and kill multiple birds with one stone.

I was thinking of going to an 1.0 A/R housing since I was going to have the turbo out. I was wondering if I need to have a chip, or programmer for it with that housing??

Is an edge evolution programmer a good device? Eventually I want to fab mounts and pipe for a 99 intercooler.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Catfish Mafia

Send a message via Yahoo to li'l tugger
Re: Turbo question

the downpipe on an obs truck is a PITA. it took some firewall banging to get mine on along with a bunch of leverage and persuasion. it did make a huge difference though! are you going to keep stock injectors? what other upgrades are you planning on? i would think about all that before changing your turbo housing. before you purchase an edge, search the forum on ts style chips. you can get more power and safer tunes from a custom chip than you can with an edge. do you have gauges yet? i would at least get a boost and pyro before you get any kind of tunes!

early 99 cc 4X4.. 4" exhaust, cushtom tunes, DI hybrids, DI tranny, GQSSB turbo and 3" plenums from WOP,

13.94 @ 96.9mph.. on stock turbo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
PSN Newb

i do not recommend the Edge man, far as i am concerned, they are the worst tuner ever. but thats my opinion. before i knew better i bought one. i went to SCT i now use my evolution as a monitor and nothing more...

i love lift laws...and police...and equipment violations!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Get a chip some of the vendors can hook you up for right around what a tuner will cost you ,and you will have more flexability.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

What he said about a custom tunes.

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylife03 View Post
i do not recommend the Edge man, far as i am concerned, they are the worst tuner ever. but thats my opinion. before i knew better i bought one. i went to SCT i now use my evolution as a monitor and nothing more...
yeah edge is #### you dont want it. i had it in my truck and it cleared my PCM twice it was just bad news bears. EDGE re-flashed it for me 4 times and it still managed to mess up my truck. theres good tuners for the OBS 7.3s like DP Tuner Matt @Gearhead Performance Tony Wildman, TS theres alot of good ones.

EDGE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 F-350 Powerstroke 6.0L CC LB Lariat FX4
MBRP 4" Turbo Back- Straight Pipe Glowshift Gauges- EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp SCT X3 with Custom Tunes from Innovative Diesel 21/2" Pro Comp Leveling Kit Moto Metal 951 rims on 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
The 6.4 is unreliable. You want a 03-04 6.0. Best motor ford ever built.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice I will stay far from the Edge, and go with a TS 6 position. After reading forums, and what was said here I think it will be the best.

I currently am stock other than an cold air intake. I will be adding a downpipe, 3.5" performance exhaust and guages first. Later I will fab pipes for an intercooler then install it.

I don't think I will add injectors, but maybe a 1.0A/R turbo.

It has good power now, before I put a heavy metal camper shell, and winch it beat my brothers 2006 chevy truck with the 8.1 L??? big block when we drag raced.

It is slower now with the heavy add ons, and the drag created by the shell. I want to go faster, tow better, and lose the turbo lag.

Thanks for all your advice, and sharing your experience
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
PSN Veteran

If you dont plan on going bigger on injectors, the 1.0 housing might be alright, If you two alot though i wouldn't suggest it. The only thing it does is bring the boost quicker, however keep in mind that comes with higher egts. So if your towing, I would say Nay on the 1.0 housing and stick with the 1.15 stock housing. And like others have said, stay away from edge.

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Catfish Mafia

Send a message via Yahoo to li'l tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95powersmoker View Post
If you dont plan on going bigger on injectors, the 1.0 housing might be alright, If you two alot though i wouldn't suggest it. The only thing it does is bring the boost quicker, however keep in mind that comes with higher egts. So if your towing, I would say Nay on the 1.0 housing and stick with the 1.15 stock housing. And like others have said, stay away from edge.

at least hold off on the housing until you get your tunes and tow with it! your lag will most likely be gone once you get enough fuel through your stock housing.

also, if you are going 3.5" exhaust, just get your DP and delete the muff and cat from your stock system.

early 99 cc 4X4.. 4" exhaust, cushtom tunes, DI hybrids, DI tranny, GQSSB turbo and 3" plenums from WOP,

13.94 @ 96.9mph.. on stock turbo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Where in Nv are you..we are in Wellington..Keep your housing, get a TS chip with custom tunes, a Tymar intake and exhaust system and you will be very happy.

I specialize in performance and suspension mods.
We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps and '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod spring swap, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions. We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the best parts never compromize just to get a sale.

If you would like help, additional info or prices please email me with your needs, info on your truck and zip.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode