Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ECM question

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  OBSWIZ 
#1 ·
I'm tired of fighting with the dealership to try and get my ECM reflashed so I can use the OBD2 plug and put a tuner on it. What numbers have to match up if I were to take an ECM out of 95 or 96?

#3 ·
Rob he wants it flashed so that his OBD II port is functional. They are in the trucks in 94.5 but don't function unless you reflash the PCM. You could get a PCM out of any PSD that has a stick in it.

#9 ·
Does it have to be a PCM out of an OBS, or can one out of a SD work too?

#5 ·
#6 ·
As long as the PCM isn't a bad unit "DOA" then it will work just fine. Key things to remember are to first disconnect the batteries and second make sure the key is not in the ignition. I have found it easier to unbolt the harness plug and then remove the three nuts holding the e-brake assembly in place an remove the PCM that way. It avoids fighting with the inner fender.

#8 ·
:whs:

I'd take a DPTuner reflash over a trip to the Stealership any day.

#10 ·
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the SD wouldn't work...different pin configuration as well as different inputs/outputs (like the turbo wastegate, etc)

#11 ·
Nashvillebill is correct in that the pin out configurations are very different from the OBS trucks. The best stock option is one out of a 97 as they had the best flash in them but a 95 or 96 will work as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.