Sticky throttle problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Sticky throttle problem

Ok, Got me a 97 PSD with a throttle problem, I got a video to post, Trying to upload it now, But Its like a sticky throttle, You tap the pedal and it revs up to like 1500rpm
Makes for driving it first or second gear with the manual impossible, and I have a pretty rough road to tackle in the next few days and Im dreading the thought of doing it with this throttle problem..

Ill have the video up in a few
Also Changed the TPS and IVS, So Im thinking its not in the pedal itself

Thanks guys
-Patch

Ok Heres the video Notice im just taping the throttle and it revs to 1500rpm.

96'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 Some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Sticky throttle problem

It is free revving to 1500 with no load on the engine correct?..... That looks and sounds completely normal. Is it driving any differently from past experience or is this something you just noticed? I truly don't see any problem what so ever.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Well, Its been since day 1 at 160k miles (now 193k)
But comparing it to my 96, which is dead now, And my dads 99, its completely unstable and hardly drivable with a manual, In first or second gear

Its hard to explain.. When your driving its the same thing, I dont think I can make it run at 1200rpm, only 1500+

Stock every thing btw..

96'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 Some stuff

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Hmmm. That is strange.Instead of tapping the throttle just put you foot on the pedal so that it just touches it and see if it jumps to 1500 like that. If it does then I would say that the pedal assembly may be damaged some how but I would think more likely that the TPS is not working correctly or the PCM isn't receiving a proper signal from the TPS. I know you said that you replaced the TPS but have you checked to see if you are getting a voltage spike when applying the throttle?

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Check your voltage output should not be higher than 4.5 at wot. Do a search on power peddle mod as there is a way to adjust it. Might also be the reostat in the switch is pooched or dirty too...

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Hmmm. That is strange.Instead of tapping the throttle just put you foot on the pedal so that it just touches it and see if it jumps to 1500 like that
Does exactly that, like I said near impossible to hit 1200 rpm unless I do the slightest tap,

The pedal I took the sensors off was my 96, but maybe Ill but the sensors back in, And swap the whole pedal? see what happens ??

Jcart Whats this reostat your talking about ?

Also how or what switch am I testing the voltage off?

96'
F250 Some stuff
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Demon Dually

The rheostat he is referring to is the TPS. It is essentially a fancy rheostat that varies the amount of voltage that the pcm sees. I would do just that and swap the entire pedal assembly out with sensors it had on it and see what happens. The switch is the TPS that you would test for voltage. Do a search for TPS testing and it will give you threads with the way to test the TPS for dead spots and other problems.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Well with no luck testing the TPS I noticed I had some very interesting wiring going to the IVS.. What exactly is this thing normally wired to?

kinda annoyed that whomever had this truck before did a really bad job doing whatever it is they thought they were doing..
I have a spliced wire going through the firewall from the IVS connector, going some where around to the fuse box, also with an inline fuse!

Its a wiring MESS!

96'
F250 Some stuff
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Demon Dually

Disconnect the inline fuse and try operating the throttle again. See if that lets it run like normal. I can't even imagine what they were trying to accomplish with that wiring. Maybe someones attempt at a high idle setup???

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

disconnected the inline didn't do any thing..

This stuff kills me though, I hate electrical and wiring..

96'
F250 Some stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode