Truck Broke Down - Fuel Problem, need help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Exclamation Truck Broke Down - Fuel Problem, need help

On my way to work this morning, my fuel filter light came on. About 1/2 mile before I got there it was spitting & sputtering so bad that it practically died when I pulled in.

I figured no big deal, just get the wife to run by the parts store & pick me up a filter, drop it off and I'd be good to go. WELL,...... on my lunch break I wanted to see if would start before I changed the filter and to my suprise it fired right up, but didn't quite sound up to par. In my attempt to make the 3mile drive home, it died in the middle of the highway. I got it on to the edge of the road and changed the filter & started back up. I only got 1/4 mile or so before it started spitting & sputtering & lost power,..... once again.

I thought maybe there wasn't enough fuel in the bowl, so I filled it up, shot a little starting fluid to it and once again it fired up. Set my chip on high idle and it seemed to be doing just fine, but as soon as I closed the hood, it started to die AGAIN.

I have a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel bowl and noticed that the pressure was reading 0.

Anyone have any idea what my problem might be?

FWIW,...
My engine mods are as follows,.........
DIY Stage 1 injectors (done by Jim, not me)
TW chip
Adrenaline HPOP

I've put about 5000 miles on the truck since I did these mods and this is the very first issue I've ever had with the truck.

I still have the stock fuel system and I installed a new lift pump less than 6000 miles ago.

The truck has 297k on it.

I'm at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Truck Broke Down - Fuel Problem, need help

Your 6000 mile old lift pump is shot. Replace it and carry on. Even though it is new doesn't mean it can't be bad and with zero fuel pressure it is bad.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
PSN Local

Burning DIESEL.....Burning DINOSAUR Bones- J.R. Cash

96' Powerstroke CC Bone stock..... DIY intake, exhaust, and PHP 6 pos. soon. Hopefully

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

You can pull the regulator apart to see if something is wrong, but I'm betting the pump is junk.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Both tanks full of fuel? What I'm gettin at it may be your fuel tank selector switch is stuck to the empty tank. Just a thought given your pump is low miles..
Maybe time for E-fuel....yaaay!!

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Update

Well, I went out this morning and tried to start it. Before I did, I turned the key to the on position and flipped the tank selector switch. I could hear it switching while I was working the switch, which tells me that's not my problem.

After cranking for a while it did fire up,..... on the front tank. Took 30 seconds or so to smooth out, but after that it was fine

I added 2 gallon of fuel to the front tank which was close to empty, prior to cranking it over.

When it died on me yesterday I was using the rear tank, which was 1/2 full according the gauge.

I known for quite a while that the plastic part of my pickup tubes in both my tanks are broke. I only get 13-14 gallons or so before I'm empty.

I'm thinking either one of the pickup tube has broke off more, or the tank selector valve on the frame is going bad.

I let the truck idle for 1/2 hour after adding fuel to both tanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Well I am glad you got it running. That little tid bit of info on the broken pick up tubes would have been helpful in giving more info to work with.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
That little tid bit of info on the broken pick up tubes would have been helpful in giving more info to work with.
I didn't think that was an issue because the gauge showed a little over half full.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Demon Dually

It's all good. i was just busting on ya. I forgot all about the notorious pickup tube failure issue myself until you mentioned it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode