rough choppy idle - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

rough choppy idle

I bought a 96 250 today, and it has a really rough idle. I think its a fuel issue but i wanted your input. It idles rough and is a really choppy idle. It does it from start up until shut down. The truck seems a little underpowered but i can feel the turbo kick in. I was going to check the ful pressure today but broke my fuel press. gauge. I think its a week lift pump. Just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas on things to check before i go buy a lift pump. I had the truck idling and pulled the icp and it did not change and the cel came on. Iturned the truck off and plugged icp back in and the check engine light was gone. Any ideas? By the way the truck is a standard and stock except for a straight pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: rough choppy idle

It looks like i have fuel in my intake valley. Anybody have any ideas where fuel can leak from in there?? Maybe the lift pump or the hoses going from lift pump to filter housing? Where have you guys found the cheapest lift pumps? I called ford and theres was $160.

96 f-250 5 speed, 4x4, 6637 intake, 3" down pipe to straight pipe, swamps tunes, Rosewood stage 1`s
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
PSN Newb

Run your truck and look at you fuel filter reservoir.... i have a leak from mine, Make sure you get o rings that will hold up to diesel fuel too

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM
PSN Newb

Your leak can be any number of things old hoses,sensor on the side of the filter housing,or the pump itself, most likely though it is the pump itself there is a weep hole on the side of it when it starts to go it will leak there try cleaning up the fuel in the valley real good with some paper towel run the truck and maybe use a mirror to see where it is coming from.

good luck

96 F250 ext cab 6637 3"down pipe 4" straight pipe ebpv delete ccv mod firestone air rite suspention
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ok thanks guys for the input. The choppy idle and underpower and sluggishness of the truck is driving me nuts. I`ll post after i get the chance to look.

96 f-250 5 speed, 4x4, 6637 intake, 3" down pipe to straight pipe, swamps tunes, Rosewood stage 1`s
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok i`m leaking fuel, not sure where can`t quite pinpoint the leak. I checked my fuel pressure today and the needle bounces from about 45-60 (not liquid filled gauges). It has a rough idle, and until it ets some temp in it it is extremely underpowered, almost won`t move. Would a leak in the fuel system make it this underpowered and a rough idle. Once the truck warms it has more power, and if i ease into the accelorator it has more power. I was going to change the lift pump but it has decent pressure. Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Needing Carbon Credits

Do you have a check engine light on?

05 F350 FX4 - Deleted and Exhausted
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No, there is not a check engine light.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If it is getting air in the fuel system would it be underpowered?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
PSN Veteran

between55-65 is where fuel psi should be, and the needle with bounce around alot since the stock pump is driven off a lob on the cam.... it pulses alot.

02 f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode