TTB Modification - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

TTB Modification

Has anybody done this or heard of it bieng done. A guy at work today said he talked to a guy with an OBS and he welded up the TTB to make it a solid axle. Is this doable or is the diesel to much weight and it would just bust the welds loose over a period of time? INPUT PLEASE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to TNScrambler
Re: TTB Modification

hit up Jonathan at Swamps, he did this years ago to "The Swamp Donkey" before it went 2.5tons.

Justin

2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 Auto 3.73s on 285s adj. Rancho Shocks (with dual front) tripple guages and a diablo chip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Interesting concept but why?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
OBS junkie

Go here- Swamps then click on Tech Data Base- R&D projects then TTB Conversion. Has everything needed to do it in there. I have talked to Jon about it before & for the money just find a deal on a Dana 60 & be done with it.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Failure to Communicate

I did it, about 6 hours start to finish was about what it took back before I found a decent price on a D60.

It worked perfectly fine and allowed me to put F350 springs on with my RSK for a better ride. Changing the springs is pretty much mandatory if you weld it up unless you like to bleed from the kidneys.

Actually I still have mine sitting out back that I need to haul off.

All it cost me was about $50 for steel and some grub and beer for my brother running the stick welder.

96 F250 CC SB 4x4
DIY or Die Tryin-Fuel, Trans, Lifted and Stroked
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM
PSN Local

Sounds like a serious waste of time to me. If you weld it all together what r u gaining beside a pile of scrap metal welded under a pickup.

96 350 LB CC 4x4, 5 speed, 4 inch all spring lift, 35 mt, 18 inch classic 2, beans stage 1 injectors, beans custom tunes, 3in down pipe 4in mbrp exhaust, cold air intake, idm modd 220,000
05 QC 3500 SB Cummins, 5 inch moto blue, afe intake, daddy built trans, magtec DD, 4.10 gears, edge juice with tude, 120,000
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
PSN Local

I followed swamps idea and welded up my 1995 ttb. If you are good with a welder it is fairly easy. Leave your leaf springs attached to keep the correct position and weld away. The positives I was able to do a reverse shackle design. Made the truck drive a lot smoother and on top of that the bad tire wear issues were gone. It was easier to do a lift on the truck. Not for everbody but it was a learning project. I'll post some pictures of swamps original post. Not sure you can look it up any more. I think these were created back in 2001.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring_Hanger_3.jpg (6.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Spring_Hanger_4.jpg (16.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg swamp1.jpg (224.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg swamp2.jpg (282.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg swamp3.jpg (274.1 KB, 8 views)

1995, 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS Trans....Currently trying to put the truck back together after years of pulling parts off of it....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
PSN Local

There's at least two of these done on thedieselstop.com and at least one on pirate4x4.com. Slightly different tactics on all of them. They all say it rides fine and gets rid of the TTB issues.

1997 F350 CCLB Dually XLT
1986 Bronco 6.9 Turbo XLT
Powertrain engineer by trade have worked for three OEM's.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
PSN Local

I can't find my picture of the welded front end but here are some more old stuff I found. To update the steering I have all of the autozone part numbers needed. Maybe later I'll snap a few pictures of the axle. I have beat the crap out of it at Moab doing 4 1/2 star trails with my powerstroke. The axle is solid. I think its in some ways stronger than a stock solid axle. Again not for everybody. For someone that likes fabricating there own stuff its fun to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swamp4.jpg (245.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg swamp5.jpg (194.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg swamp6.jpg (181.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg swamp7.jpg (152.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Part Diagram.jpg (580.5 KB, 7 views)

1995, 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS Trans....Currently trying to put the truck back together after years of pulling parts off of it....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Could you do this and keep it at stock height? The most I would want to go would be 2".

1995 Ford F-250 7.3 (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode