I have to SLAM the clutch pedal! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have to SLAM the clutch pedal!

Okay its getting harder to start my truck. Now i have to slam my clutch pedal to the floor in order to get it to start. What do you think it is? Neutral safety switch or is there a bushing going bad in the pedal?

Thanks

Josh
95 F-250 ext cab lwb 4x4
custom tuned TW chip
modified H2E
DIY electric fuel
Valair ceramic clutch
Intercooled
4'' straight pipe
Dana 60 conversion in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life
Re: I have to SLAM the clutch pedal!

theres a bushing in the pedal and its probly shot, go to the dealership n tell them what u need and get 3-4 while ur at it and throw the extras in the glovebox, u'll thank urself later

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
theres a bushing in the pedal and its probly shot, go to the dealership n tell them what u need and get 3-4 while ur at it and throw the extras in the glovebox, u'll thank urself later
Or get the $30 or so fix and never do it again. Check on eBay for the pedal fix.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 AM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
Or get the $30 or so fix and never do it again. Check on eBay for the pedal fix.

Dave
the pedal fix? explain further, i never knew anything of this, i just put a 5$ bushing in mine every 8 months or so

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 AM
PSN Veteran

The "fix" mentioned is a modified Heim joint that is available on ebay for $40 or so (???). You cut the end off the stock rod and put on the "fix". If your rod end has not been damaged due to a bad bushing, you can install a new bushing with the tabs clipped off and use a shaft collar to keep everything on the linkage. I used this mehod on mine with a little grease on the bushing and had no issues in over 150k miles on the same bushing. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks for the info guys and do you have a link to the pedal "fix" cause i couldnt find it on ebay

Josh
95 F-250 ext cab lwb 4x4
custom tuned TW chip
modified H2E
DIY electric fuel
Valair ceramic clutch
Intercooled
4'' straight pipe
Dana 60 conversion in progress

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Here is the LINK for the fix on Ebay. The price has gone down, so much I decided to buy one for future use.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Shortbus driver

I had this very same problem. I put up with it for so long I developed arthritis/gout in the area of the ball of my left foot and the middle toe. I'm 32yo. I'm not kidding.

So... yeah. what bushing? There was nothing left that could even hold a bushing. Best I can figure is the retainer clip popped off long ago. Over time, the clutch rod had tried to walk off the stud. In doing so, it cocked the pushrod slightly so that all the pedal pressure was focused on the very edge of the rod end's ID. That would have cut through the bushing rapidly, and then kept on wearing into the outboard half of the stud. It also wore the opening of the clutch rod end into sort of a fat #8 shape. The rod being at a slight angle also caused the clutch master to leak.

I was losing about 1/3 of the pedal travel due to the slop in the linkage. No wonder I was stomping at the floor! When I first discovered it, I only did a band-aid fix. I was able to secure the rod inboard on the virgin part of the pin. Its full diameter also located well in the rod's end instead of slipping into the deeply worn section. My band-aid consisted of 3 pieces of bare #14 house wiring twisted up into a 'rope'. With that I improvised a heavy-duty twist-tie!.

Now that I'm working my hydroboost conversion, I tackled the clutch business. Firts off, the pedal assembly comes out pretty easy. You can sneak it out the left side without doing anything to the column.

I hacked off the pin and drilled it out. I cut a small triangle off the pedal support to let me properly tap the hole and thread in a bolt. I went to a 1/2"NF bolt, threaded and loctited into the clutch arm from the left side. Grease, washer, and a nylock nut to finish it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f350clutch.jpg (26.9 KB, 30 views)

'93 F250 2wd, 7.3IDI/5spd/4.10
'89-93 Dodge CTD jalopies
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
cattle farmer

i had the same problem it was hard as hell to get it to start and im 220 lbs ...

but it ended up being the nuetral safty switch.

Thomas,
97 f350 cclb-7.3
sticks,clutch,bars

05 f350 cclb-6.0
deleted, studed

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM
PSN Local

I had the same problem about six months ago and found it to be the small plastic bushing had cracked and ruined the shaft, i was able to find a shaft thanks to my buddy at the dealership and replace the plastic clip. I would give the other option a look now though if it works as well as people are saying.

'97 F-250HD, DIY intake, 5" Mitre Cut Stacks, Bully Dog 6 pos, Gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode