Help! Bad oil leak? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Help! Bad oil leak?

Ok, so today i finished up my injector install. Then i cranked the truck, drove around for about 50 miles, got back to the shop, parked on a small incline at the door to the shop, after pulling in and walking back to the door i noticed a bunch of oil spots all over the ground. i had checked the oil level before leaving, it was about midway between add and full, when i checked after returning, i didn't really wait for the oil to settle and it read right at the add mark. then i topped it off to full and headed out, stopped again after about 15 miles, looked under the truck, dripping a little, but nothing ridiculous, checked the oil level, it was about 3/4 between add and full, so i contined my drive for another 35-40 miles, pulled up on a pretty steep hill, looked under the truck, lots of oil dripping down, pulled into a parkin spot, let the oil settle for about 20 minutes, checked it and it was at the add line and huge oil spots under the truck. looking under the truck, both sides of the engine are nice and wet, all the way back to the back of the transmission oil is dripping down. my original thought was that maybe oil i had purged from the cylinders after installing the injectors had set in the valley and was dripping down the back. there is a good deal of wetness under the turbo and i thought maybe the oil left in the cylinders while purging came through the exhaust and dumped out the waste gate (dunno if that's possible). looked all around the valve covers and don't see any wetness. while looking at the oil pan, it looks like some oil is coming out of the dipstick grommet, maybe i dislodged something when working around the dipstick while doing the valve covers? also, no HPOP codes in the computer. Need some help fast. Thanks a lot, sorry for the long post

-John-
1996 F-250 Ext Cab Long Bed 4x4 w/ a few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Help! Bad oil leak?

Wash down the valley with water and simple green, dry it off and start looking at idle. If it’s at the dipstick it has to be pushed in the fitting on the pan there is an o-ring you may have dislodged. Or it could be the turbo o-rings if you had it off.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

didn't have the turbo off, i'll clean up the engine this afternoon and check it out

-John-

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

here's a picture. looks to be coming out of the dipstick fitting, but still some coming from the top, and it's getting back onto the transmission... here's a picture...

-John-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

took it to see a fella i know and he looked at it for about 2 minutes and said it's the turbo pedestal. anybody know how hard it is to change?

-John-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

also, can i just replace the o-rings or do i have to replace the whole pedestal?

-John-
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

You can replace just the o-rings.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

alright good deal. should i go ahead and delete the EBPV?

-John-
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
PSN Veteran

yes got and delete the ebpv.

also if it were me and I had the funds I would upgrade the turbo since your gonna be pulling the whole thing out of there.

02 f250
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

definitely don't have the cash for that right now since i just upgraded the injectors. lol

-John-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode