idle problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
fastfish1967

idle problems

Hi guys, I'm a new guy on here and have a problem with my 97 Powerstroke.
I have only owned this truck for about six months and have put a little over 5500 miles on her. It now has a little over 256,850 total. A new stock Garrett turbocharger was installed just before I bought it. About a month ago I cranked it up and it would not idle smooth. It started surging or romping from 600 RPM to almost shutting off then catch itself and then do it all over again. I can push down on the foot feed just a little and the surging goes away. I replaced the fuel supply pump today(what a pain in the ass that was) and that did not help. If I let it keep surging up and down it will clear up in 20 to 30 seconds by itself and idle fine. I did notice that it clears up the same time that the glow plug relay times out and shows charging instead of discharging. Is this just a coincidence? I'm not too savvy about diesel engines so any and all help will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 AM
PSN Newb

Re: idle problems

Is it smoking? If so what color?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
fastfish1967

The truck is very hard to start if it hasn't been plugged in for at least 30 minutes. When it does start after NOT being plugged in it pours out white smoke. If it HAS been plugged in it doesn't smoke at all. I know the white smoke is vaporized diesed fuel and is caused by the glow plug system not working properly. About two weeks prior to the truck surging at idle I replaced the glow plug relay and all eight glow plugs. It is still hard to start if it hasn't been plugged in so I need to research the glow plug sustem further.
Thanks for your reply!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 PM
<---new toy

You need to check each glow plug individually. the idling can be timing, air, fuel, even sensors. what does the tach idle at? or where does it surge from and to on the tach? and has it or do it have and mods. (chip, intercooler, etc.)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:32 PM
PSN Veteran

my truck used to make that romping when it was stock and only on cold starts, since installing a chip with no stock setting it has yet to do it.

welcome to the nation BTW

02 f250
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
fastfish1967

The engine idles at 600 RPM when not surging. It surges from 600 RPM to
0 RPM but catches itself just before shutting off. It surges very fast like every second or less. The truck does not have any mods at all that I know of. I bought the truck from the original owner so I believe it is bone stock with mostly highway miles It is a F250 Heavy Duty SD two wheel drive automatic. I have not checked each glow plug wire individually but will pull the valve covers back off this week and check them. Thanks!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 PM
PSN Veteran

I doubt that its glow plugs since my truck use to do that with brand new glowplugs
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
PSN Newb

How cold does it have to be when it won't start without being plugged in? How many miles does it have on it and has it been maintained well? Sounds like it might be a compression issue or maybe some injectors getting ready to go. Does it run good wants you get it warmed up?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
fastfish1967

Probably mid to low fifties and it's a bear to get started. I just went outside and cranked it up with no problem except romping and no white smoke but it did have a very strong diesel smell. It was NOT plugged in. It's probably mid eighties outside here this afternoon in south GA.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
PSN Veteran

so you have trouble starting it when its warm out too?

02 f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode