fuel pump i believe - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

fuel pump i believe

im pretty sure the fuel pump is bad. i was driving down the interstate the other night and the truck died on me just it was running out of fuel. i will crank over and act like it kinda wants to start but doesnt. pulled my fuel filter and the level in the bowl was extremely low. drained the bowl and turned it over again and got a tiny bit. also had someone turn it over while i looked in the bowl and didnt see any fuel entering it. seems like a fuel pump to me, jst wanted to run it buy. im not sure how the mech pumps are for failing. truck has just hit 272000 mi.

any info if someone has would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: fuel pump i believe

Sure sounds like the fuel pump is bad. If you got 272k out of the original pump (without it failing or leaking), you are fortunate! I've had them run fine, but only leak a bit and others sit and idle all day, but have the fuel pressure drop to zero under load. The usual method is to attach a liquid filled gauge to the shraeder valve on the FPR, with hose long enough to tape the gauge to the widshield and then see what happens when driving it. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

well i replaced the fuel pump and cant get it to start......after cranking it for a bit and then holding the pedal to the floor it sounded like it really wanted to start a couple times. does it take a bunch of cranking to purge the system? ive never ran it all the way out. gonna try and crank it some more and see what happens.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:51 AM
PSN Veteran

It shouldn't take more than a few cranks to get the fuel system "filled up". I suspect other problems, like a faulty tank selector valve, or cracked pickup tube, or...any kind of weird going-ons, like a kink/clog in a line...

If you've got a hand vacuum pump, try hooking it to the incoming fuel line and see if you can draw fuel up, that would eliminate any problems with tank or valve or lines.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 AM
PSN Veteran

oh, and holding the pedal to the floor won't help, this isn't a carburettor...

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah lol I know that it doesn't have a carb...just anything to /make me feel better. But aftera lot of cranking later it "primed" and she is running good again. Guess it had an air lock or soething in the system.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Dairy Mechanic

I got a used fuel pump I can sell ya if your interested.

96 Ford F-350 200 cc's, Electric fuel system, TS chip, 17 oil pump, Banks intercooler, 3" intake manifolds, SNOW Water-Meth system, South Bend DxD 3600, Banks brake, 4" stacks. Tuff country ladder bars.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IH RULES Not a 6.0 fan, engine out right now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode