Steering troubles - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Steering troubles

My truck started pulling from one side of the road to the other after a hard turn. I mean a hard in town turn not highway speed turn. It would keep this up untill I stopped the truck. After that it would be back to usual. It comes and goes. I had the wife turn the wheel back and forth and the link at the top of the dragling had some play. I replaced that and the steering is a bit tighter but still has the same problem. Whats the proper way to adjust the stering box? Any ideas on what could cause this. I plan on lifting the front end today and checking the balljoints, spring bushings, u-bolts, torque rod bushings, and all the steering components.

95 Extended cab Long Bed XLT
Dana 60
Tymar Intake
Sport Comp Gauges
FPR Shim
3" Dp - 4" Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Steering troubles

bump

Dana 60
Tymar Intake
Sport Comp Gauges
FPR Shim
3" Dp - 4" Exhaust
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

It sounds like you have a bad bushing in the trackbar. The proper adjustment for the steering box is to lift the front end off the ground, then take a 13 or 14 mm (can't remember off hand) wrench and loosen the locknut on top of the sector shaft on the top of the steering box. Back off the nut several turns while holding the adjustment screw in place. The screw is either 5/16 or 6mm. Then tighten the adjustment screw clockwise until it gets snug, then back it off a quarter turn. Then while holding the screw in position tighten the locknut down. If the steering doesn't return to center after making a turn then back off the adjustment screw in eigth turn increments until the steering returns to center naturally.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks, I will try that. I haven't had a chance to go over it yet. Hopefully I will tomorrow.

Dana 60
Tymar Intake
Sport Comp Gauges
FPR Shim
3" Dp - 4" Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode