Removing fuel bowl - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Removing fuel bowl

I am going to be pulling my fuel bowl this weekend to replace some old O-Rings.

I bought my O-Ring kit from dieselorings.com.

Does anyone have a link to a write up, so I can prep myself on the removal process?

Also, I didn't order new hoses for the fuel bowl when I bought the O-Ring kit. Does anyone have part numbers from international, ford, napa, or advance auto so I can have them for this weekend?

Thanks for any and all help.

96FordF3507.3PSDCC, (Line X'd) bed, 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4.11 gears, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP , 260,000 miles, 3-4" down pipe, 4" exhaust w/5" polished SS tip, gutted EBPV, chrome nerf bars, autometer ultra lite pyro and boost gauges, alpine cd player, alpine speakers, Garmin GPS.
"Real trucks have 3 Pedals, 2 Sticks, and No Spark Plugs"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
PSN Local

Re: Removing fuel bowl

It is quite simple on a F-series .... First you need to take off the intake "y" for access to the bowl bolts ( 2 ) then you disconnect the harness which also connects to the IPR so be carefull. Then you loosen the front drain hose ( if you have one) and the clamps on the PUMP side only. Disconnect the 2 return lines from the heads at the FPR before you remove you undo the mounting bolts . Undo the 2 filterbowl mounting bolts and pull it off gently. Make sure you DRAIN the filterbowl BEFORE you remove it.
I took my bowl with me to a o-ring shop partially dissassembled and he matched them up for me... As far as the hoses go I bought them at a hose place . You need 1 ft each of 3/8 and 5/16 300 psi fuel injection hose ...also buy the good clamps ( also for fuel injection). You then take off the little hoses and cut new ones to match from your 1 ft pieces of each. On reassembly attach all hoses to the filterbowl first and tighten them since you will not be able to tighten them after you install the bowl.. re-attach the return lines at the FPR and do not overtighten them since they are compression type...
Hope this helps...

95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the wrie up, I went ahead and ordered the high temp hoses and clamps from dieselorings.com

96FordF3507.3PSDCC, (Line X'd) bed, 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4.11 gears, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP , 260,000 miles, 3-4" down pipe, 4" exhaust w/5" polished SS tip, gutted EBPV, chrome nerf bars, autometer ultra lite pyro and boost gauges, alpine cd player, alpine speakers, Garmin GPS.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I got the fuel bowl removed, what a nasty mess that was with all the fuel that was leaked out.

Its a good thing I went ahead and ordered the new hoses as the old ones were old and starting to crack up.

My only question is, that when I pulled the fuel bowl I noticed on one of the wires the little weather protector that keeps the moisture out has start to desinigrate, I guess from the fuel. I am thinking that the wire is for the fuel bowl heater. Where can I get a new wire harness at?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 AM
PSN Local

imo you dont need the fuel bowl heater. i live in northern indiana and never had a problem with mine. not to say that some day i wont hook it up again but just my 2 cents. also I have read a number of times that they tend to short out and not work anyways

96 F250 x-cab 4X4 250,000 mi, 5in straight pipe, ts 6 pos. with house tunes, jasper rebuilt trans, tymar intake, glowshift gauges, soon to have coolant filter
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My heater element is broke. How do I remove it and replace it?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
PSN Local

You need to remove the Stand pipe .... I used a basin wrench but you a can use a crow foot socket /wrench ...remember it is reverse thread and is plastic AND costs $ 80 bucks so be very carefull

95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Fuel bowl has been removed, and all orings and hoses replaced.

I re-installed it, and no leaks!

Thanks for all your help blageurt.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Here's the part number for the fuel bowl wiring harness (its about $60 though ... they've gone up!):

Fuel Filter Housing Wiring Harness
(Ford) F7TZ-9S277-AA

Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks Patrick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode