Inconsistent Oil Burn Problem... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Inconsistent Oil Burn Problem...

So I have been running a PHP chip for a few months now and have a few questions. I'll start by saying that I have stock injectors, but the chip is programmed for Stage 1's...I was told that it wouldn't make a difference, and then when I step up to Stage 1's eventually that then the tuning would already be done. The tow (30hp) and economy (60hp) settings function well, but there is no noticeable difference between the two. The setting where the truck really comes to life is the 100hp setting. I realize that it is not realizing the full 100 hp gain with stock injectors and HPOP, but that is where the major difference is felt in the way the truck runs, and builds boost. At max the truck has built 30 psi of boost on the 100hp tune, and stays in the 15-18 psi of boost on the economy setting at most. The lope idle and whisper idle settings have the same effect on the truck...cause it to idle slightly lower than normal and bellow out white/blue smoke. I'm thinking that is not what was intended, which has me puzzled as to what the problem might be.

I told ya'll all that to ask you this:

Another issue my truck has started within the last month and a half of so is that last 4 tanks of fuel, the truck has began to sparatically burn oil. One tank it burned 1.5 qts in 300 miles. The following tank it was down about 1 qt, the next tank it did not burn a drop, and now I just checked it and it is down nearly 2 quarts in 150-200 miles. The truck has not pulled a single thing and is generally driven on the tow or economy setting. Very rarely I'll turn it up to 100hp for a short blast, but never more than a minute or two. What is causing this? I checked the turbo to see if it was allowing oil into the exhaust and it is clean inside and no play on the wheel, and no oil in down pipe. My fuel filter is clean, and there is no oil in the fuel bowl.

What do you suspect could be causing this? Could my injectors be getting worn and burning oil? I am needing to get this fixed, as I dont want any damage to be done to the engine, and I know that you are very good with these engines, especially injector issues.

Thanks for any help, I'll appreciate it.

*SOLD*e99 F350 Crew DRW Lariat ,6-Sp,
Swamps Tunes, Autometer Cobalt Boost/Pyro,6637 Filter Mod, 5" Strait Pipe, 5% Tint, 05 Front End Conversion
*SOLD*96 F350 CCLB XLT 5-Sp, Swamp Tunes, Boost/Pyro, 6637 Mod, 4" Strait Pipe, 1.0 Housing, WW2, 20" AE Wheels/
2012 F350 CCLB 4X4 Lariat Ultimate, Leveled, 20's / 35's, More to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Inconsistent Oil Burn Problem...

Your external injector o-rings could be heading south. If oil bybasses the o-rings into the fuel system, it will end up in the fuel tank via the return line and be burned (with no real noticeable smoke or anything). I had my o-rings catastrophically fail and I burned 8 quarts in 150 miles. You may want to drain the fuel bowl into a clean jar and compare that fuel with some clean fuel. Mine was as black as, well, used engine oil! (couldn't see light through it!). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Using oil is normally indicative of bag injector o-rings. Pull the fuel filter out of the bowl and if the fuel inside is black, you need new o-rings. Get Alliant Power o-rings only.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The thing that makes me think its not injector o-rings is that I just had them replaced at International in December. Should they be giving me problems already???

Swamps Tunes, Autometer Cobalt Boost/Pyro,6637 Filter Mod, 5" Strait Pipe, 5% Tint, 05 Front End Conversion
*SOLD*96 F350 CCLB XLT 5-Sp, Swamp Tunes, Boost/Pyro, 6637 Mod, 4" Strait Pipe, 1.0 Housing, WW2, 20" AE Wheels/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Also, fuel inside the fuel bowl is clean, and filter shows no signs of oil...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
PSN Newb

Thats how my truck went through oil just before the turbo let go same as you there was no play in the turbo and the exhaust wasn,t wet with oil it progressivly got worse till I started noticing wet tail pipe and the smell of burning oil even more so when the temps got cold
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 AM
PSN Local

Subscribed
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Pull your intake and DP see if you have excessive oil there. Is the turbo making any weird noise? Squealing.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Pulled all the tubing from around the turbo (intake side, and dp) and there was only a very light amount of oil residue present on the intake side. The dp was dry. Turbo has made no weird noises, and seems to build boost just fine. No play in the wheel at all.

The truck does smell very rich when it runs, and usually at idle or taking off there is a light haze of blue/white smoke...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 AM
PSN Newb

Do you have the ccv mod done I noticed you have the 6637 filter setup? if you have done the mod there should be no oil in the Intake side of the turbo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode