How to change a vacuum pump? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

How to change a vacuum pump?

Can someone please explain to me how to change a vacuum pump on my 97 7.3? Also where is the best place to purchase a new pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 AM
oil burner

Re: How to change a vacuum pump?

pretty simple just replaced mine week ago,the next morning the starter crapped outbut anyway just release the belt tensioner,i got on it with a long 3/8 ratchet and i believe it was a 11/16 socket and pull up to relieve belt tension then slide the belt off.theres only three bolts holding the vacuum pump on,you will need a box end 10mm wrench for those and a 3 jaw puller to get the pulley off the old pump. i got a pump from napa for 150 bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

I did mine a few months back. 2nd replacement on truck. Last one lasted almost 160k miles. I used the standard PS pulley puller used on all Ford vehicles to remove and replace mine on the side of the road. Had one in truck. I got mine at dealership from friend for about $160. NAPA has them also and I hear are a good part too. You might be able to rent or borrow the power steering pulley remover.

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Many parts places have those powersteering pullers you can rent. That being said it is worthwhile to just buy yourself one as you will end up somehow needing it again. Get a good one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for all the info. I've heard that these pumps need to be oiled before install...thoughts?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 PM
PSN Veteran

I've heard of replacement pumps coming with the oil to lubricate them (the one I purchased from AutoZone did not and I never had any issues with it in over 100k miles on it). One note: There is one bolt that has to be put in place on the new pump prior to replacing the pulley (you can't put it in with pulley in place). AutoZone will rent the PS pulley puller/installer for free. I chose to just keep the PS pulley tool set so I'd have it if on the road and had the pump fail. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Anyone have a diagram or picture of where the bolts are on the pump and which pulley to pull?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajordan193 View Post
Anyone have a diagram or picture of where the bolts are on the pump and which pulley to pull?
Seriously if you are at a point where this is a question this repair might be outside your realm. This is a simple repair..... hour job. Pickup the new pump and look it over and that might help you decide if you can fix this yourself or not.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Empty Wallet

I just did mine. Your life will be much easier and youll have little to no risk of damaging the pulley if you just rent a power steering pulley puller from auto zone and use it. As others have said, very simple job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode