Looking at an OBS - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Exploding the magma

Looking at an OBS

Hi All,

So I am thinking of ditching the goat...it is a great engine with an ok truck. Also at this point having a 7000 pound truck as a daily driver is really not practical. So I am thinking of trading in the dodge for a car and picking up an OBS PSD ford to plow the drive way and pull a round a 8000# fifth wheel from time to time. Now on the 94.5 to 97 what are the common failures/weaknesses? Strong points/weak points? I know the auto trans are not that great but I have had two trucks in a row with crappy auto transmissions (93 Bronco and 04.5 Dodge) and both made it over 175K on the original trans. What is the normal life of these engines with reasonable care? Thanks!

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Underfunded

Send a message via AIM to moonshiner
Re: Looking at an OBS

Why you would ever ditch a Dodge for an OBS or any powerstroke is beyond belief...
Unless you like spending large amounts of money on a dog engine that doesnt really get fun till 40K is spent on it.
Id literally kill the nearest hippy for a dodge and gladly retire my OBS to an aircraft hanger in a remote tibetan village.

However to answer your questions an not rant.
-> late 95-97 were best years, buy the F350 OBS not F250.
-> Auto trans are great if you spend 5000 on a custom built one, or 4000 on rebuild. If your super anal you can get an OBS E40D to maybe last you 120k, purely a conservative estimate and not probable if you plan on upgrading the engine, plowing, or towing anything, unless you plan to not go up hills...
-> Body style is a strong point, Ford/IH combine effort an failure with the Engine would be the main weakness, as well as not having a hydraulically lifting body off of the chassis, or a forward tilt hood like semi-trucks.
-> Had a buddy take his 7.3L to 500k miles, hauled rodeo stock all over creation. Btw, that was the original block... bout all that was left stock.

1996 F350: 4.10's Detroit Locked Front/Rear, Rampage Chip, SD/Racor E-Fuel, Adrenaline, 160cc's, Bell SS/66 Turbo, SD CAC, 315/75/16's Fierce M/Ts, 6" Lift, 6ft Traction Bars, 5" Stacks.

2007 Harley FXSTB: Bassani Prostreet Pipes, Terry Comp tuner, V&H Air Cleaner

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I know nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
Why you would ever ditch a Dodge for an OBS or any powerstroke is beyond belief...
Unless you like spending large amounts of money on a dog engine that doesnt really get fun till 40K is spent on it.
Id literally kill the nearest hippy for a dodge and gladly retire my OBS to an aircraft hanger in a remote tibetan village.

-> Auto trans are great if you spend 5000 on a custom built one, or 4000 on rebuild. If your super anal you can get an OBS E40D to maybe last you 120k, purely a conservative estimate and not probable if you plan on upgrading the engine, plowing, or towing anything, unless you plan to not go up hills...
-> Body style is a strong point, Ford/IH combine effort an failure with the Engine would be the main weakness, as well as not having a hydraulically lifting body off of the chassis, or a forward tilt hood like semi-trucks.
-> Had a buddy take his 7.3L to 500k miles, hauled rodeo stock all over creation. Btw, that was the original block... bout all that was left stock.

To late!

Doesn't roll with anyone or tag along to be cool...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:

Hmmm my stock oem made it to 216,000 miles. and $4000 on a rebuild is way high considering I got a remaned jasper installed with a new TC for $1800. You would be surprised how much power the stock trans can hold with just a shift kit and a 6.0 TC
Honestly it sounds like you really hate your obs.... so sell it then.

Back to the OP, personaly I love my obs. I would not trade it for anything, granted it may ride rough and is a loud diesel but hey its a truck. like moonshiner had said get a f350..... or get a f250 and swap a dana 60 for a mid 90s obs f350..... or do what a couple of memebers have done and swap in 05 and up SD suspension.

02 f250
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 PM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Sounds like you need to go out & buy a dodge then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 AM
oil burner

7.3l is a great engine and its in an awesome truck. obs ftw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Noob

OBS downfalls, as compared to a SD
Fuel system
F250 Dana 50 TTB sucks
Non intercooled
smaller injectors
the stock(or lifted) suspension sucks.
The transmissions have already been addressed.
Besides that, they are great. Body style rocks, just takes allot of work to get them to be what you want.

IMO and this is only IMO, go with a SD 7.3 if want a 7.3.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
PSN Local

Quote:

Well every truck has its falts and belive me the obs fords aint perfect buy no means and Ill tell you this, i aint had near as much problem out of my obs that other trucks iv owned gave me. Mine has wooped alot of ass in its day and there great tough trucks. Mine has a 5 speed in it witch i perfer in these trucks with around 192000 hard miles and have enjoyed every one of em. As long as you dont go to the wimpy ass independent front suspension, low rider goverment bailout vaginamax trucks you alt to be ok. If you dont mind spending a little more money tho go ahead and get a NBS 7.3l Powerstroke there just newer and more advanced trucks. And if you dont like the truck that much then sell the dang thang, its that simple man.

1999 Ford F.250 4X4 Cortex
1976 Ford F.100 step-side 347 STROKER (Fast)
1963 Ford F.100 4X4 (ORIGINAL 223CI)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Strokin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaylor0056 View Post
Well every truck has its falts and belive me the obs fords aint perfect buy no means and Ill tell you this, i aint had near as much problem out of my obs that other trucks iv owned gave me. Mine has wooped alot of ass in its day and there great tough trucks. Mine has a 5 speed in it witch i perfer in these trucks with around 192000 hard miles and have enjoyed every one of em. As long as you dont go to the wimpy ass independent front suspension, low rider goverment bailout vaginamax trucks you alt to be ok. If you dont mind spending a little more money tho go ahead and get a NBS 7.3l Powerstroke there just newer and more advanced trucks. And if you dont like the truck that much then sell the dang thang, its that simple man.
well said.

94' F-250 PSD, Reg. cab, 4x4, ZF-5, K&N, 3" DP, 5" Exhaust.

93' F-250 SCLB, 4x4, Gas.
88' F-350 460 Wrecker. Lots of LED's.

The Bank doesn't own my trucks.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeloney View Post
well said.
Thanks.

1999 Ford F.250 4X4 Cortex
1976 Ford F.100 step-side 347 STROKER (Fast)
1963 Ford F.100 4X4 (ORIGINAL 223CI)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode