Efuel Power Source? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
College Student

Efuel Power Source?

Where is a good place to tap into for power when the key is on only?
I read somewhere that the old fuel bowl heater wire could be used.
Where is a better place to tap into? I dont have very much experience playing electrician messing around in the fuse boxes...
Thanks.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Baby Swamps Injectors, TS-6 chip with swamps tunes, DIY E-Fuel. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 AM
Project Shamu

Re: Efuel Power Source?

I tapped into a fuse into the underhood fuse box, i forget the exact number, but it was the only one that had power while key on and while cranking, kept the pump on the entire time. Just get a test light out and start checking. After I tapped into the fuse, I mounted my relay right on the firewall next to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 AM
PSN Veteran

The #22 fuse under the hood powers the fuel heater and only has power with the key on.

However I would use the wire from the fuel heater connection on the filter housing just because it is already there and won't be used when you convert over to Efuel.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
College Student

That what I was thinking Bugman.

I'll just run it to wherever I place the relay and it should be good. Then just hook the other 3 to power, the pump and the ground.

If all goes well, it should be running by tomorrow.

Will I run into a problem of priming it, or will I just have to cycle the key a few times?

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Baby Swamps Injectors, TS-6 chip with swamps tunes, DIY E-Fuel. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdurastroke View Post
That what I was thinking Bugman.

I'll just run it to wherever I place the relay and it should be good. Then just hook the other 3 to power, the pump and the ground.

If all goes well, it should be running by tomorrow.

Will I run into a problem of priming it, or will I just have to cycle the key a few times?

Just turn the key on and let the pump run for a little bit. You will hear the sound change as the air is pushed through the system. Eventually the air will make it back to one of the tanks through the return line and you'll be good to go.

Why are you adding a relay?

1997 F350 with a few mods and over 392,000 miles.

National Spring Leafs, E-Fuel, John Woods Transmission, Detroit Lockers Front & Rear, 4:56 Gears, Michelin XML Tires, Custom RSK...

Lots of pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
College Student

I read on a lot of write ups that people had put in relays. So I added one in. Not sure if it really needs one, but it has one now. so far everything is working. I acidentialy had the pump put in wrong. had a 50/50 shot and didnt get it right. Pulled the filters and realized that it was sucking air out of the head going to the motor. flipped it around and cycled it a few times until it flowed through the water separator and pump. Then put in place the main filter and waited for it to prime for a while giving it a few cycles.Then once primed, adjusted the FPR until around 65psi. Started it up and checked for leaks.

What is a good recommended fuel pressure to run at?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdurastroke View Post
I read on a lot of write ups that people had put in relays. So I added one in. Not sure if it really needs one, but it has one now. so far everything is working. I acidentialy had the pump put in wrong. had a 50/50 shot and didnt get it right. Pulled the filters and realized that it was sucking air out of the head going to the motor. flipped it around and cycled it a few times until it flowed through the water separator and pump. Then put in place the main filter and waited for it to prime for a while giving it a few cycles.Then once primed, adjusted the FPR until around 65psi. Started it up and checked for leaks.

What is a good recommended fuel pressure to run at?
Relay or no relay, as long as it all works that's all that really matters. Maybe someone can chime in about the benefit of running a relay.

I have always read/heard that the fuel pressure should be set at 60psi. It might be different for different applications.

1997 F350 with a few mods and over 392,000 miles.

National Spring Leafs, E-Fuel, John Woods Transmission, Detroit Lockers Front & Rear, 4:56 Gears, Michelin XML Tires, Custom RSK...

Lots of pictures
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Project Shamu

A relay is always very smart, I'm running a larger than normal relay that will eventually power twin SD pumps. Running off just the fuel bowl heater might overload the wire too, who knows if the wire is thick enough, or if the power source can supply the load.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:00 PM
PSN Veteran

It isn't the size of the wire but the amperage of the load. I am sure that a fuel pump will draw less than the fuel heater but a relay that is controlled by a key on source like the heater wire and a fused load wire going to the pump is always smart

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
College Student

The fuel heater wire should just be providing the power to operate the relay. I don't imagine it will draw very much current. The main power is coming from the battery which also has a 25AMP fuse between the two as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode