Howdy all, 1997 F350 stock tires and 4.10 gears

Split shot injectors stock AB
E-Fuel system
3" Downpipe
Riff Raff 6637 intake
EBPV delete
No Cat, stock exhaust otherwise
Stock Tune

I am about to make a 2,500 mile road trip in my 1997 CA out to Southwest Colorado with an ending elevation of about 9-10K feet for an elk hunt. For what this truck is I reckon we will not have a lot of weight in it, large coolers, hunting and cold weather camping supplies for me and my brother.

Here's my question, driving through the mountains on a stock tune with the modifications listed is it a good idea for me to get a pyrometer?

I will be driving the passes with RPM in mind, but I have never had a pyrometer on this truck before so I am not quite sure the exact way to drive it on these longer grades or passes. I know that I need the engine to breathe to keep the EGT in check, but to what limit? In direct drive/OD off, what should my target RPMs be? I can't imagine that the engineers could let us get into trouble with a factory set fuel map and not even close to max payload in the truck, but I like to be careful in these types of situations if I don't know concretely how my EGTs are.

I am probably over-thinking this, but I wanted to cast out a line to all of you. The modifications that I have done supposedly help drop the EGTs as well, but how much I am not sure. For reference, the most boost I have seen on the MAP sensor was 20PSI, which leads me to believe if I have any boost leaks they are not bad enough to really hurt my EGTs.

Any other info you all would like to know please let me know. Would love to hear your thoughts on the situation at hand.

I hope this is in the correct section.

Thank you,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Stock Truck Pyrometer

Always good to have a pyrometer, but if it's just camping stuff in the bed you should be fine. On my 94 (basically stock, 6637 intake, gutted CAT and EBPV) the only times EGTs got close to 1200 was pulling the 9k fiver up a long steep grade. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Anytime that you modify a trucks engine it is best to monitor most of the systems that the modification improve and the EGT's are one of them.

Right now with the season starting in a week or so you will be pinched for time to order one, get it and install it before you leave.

Other than that you should be alright, just don't lug the engine and keep the RPM's up which will help a lot. With a empty truck that is mostly stock I only see around 900 degrees going up I-70 from Denver and the same going over Vail Pass at close to 11,000'. If you are going the southern route your speeds will be lower but a few of the grades are steep.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the replies.

So far the theme I am getting is that it won't be immediately necessary as long as I am driving reasonably conscious of my RPMs and speed. What do you all consider lugging the engine? Is between 2200-2500 a pretty reasonable RPM in direct drive? I never go pedal to the metal in overdrive or direct drive for that matter.

I am pretty conservative in that if I have to give it any more than about 1/2 throttle, I just drop into direct-drive. I plan to get a pyrometer as soon as possible as I am surely missing out on a lot of performance where I could probably push it a little harder in overdrive while still keeping my EGTs and transmission happy--with 235s and 4.10s I am pretty wound out on the interstate to begin with. 65MPH is about 2,000RPM, 70 is about 2250 and so on and so forth. I plan to keep the MPH anywhere from 55-75MPH respective of the grade, how does that compare to what you guys do?

I have a live scanner that displays my transmission temp so I like to look at that and even cooking up the grapevine here in CA it stays around 180.

Thank you guys again feel free to set me straight or put me in my place if I am out to lunch with any of this.

Matt

Last edited by Grassfed; 11-08-2019 at 01:42 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 PM
PSN Veteran

If you can keep the RPM's above 2k you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 PM
Project Shamu

I didnt read all the posts above as I dont have time, but I have almost the exact same truck as you, same AB injectors and everything, so I figured I'd give my input. I put a pyro on my truck before I got a tuner, and when towing 5,000lbs through the mountains, I was actually able to get the pyro up over 1250*, so dont think the stock tune is safe!

Better to get a pyro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Lt. Dan,

Do you reckon if you dropped the 5,000 pound load you'd be able to reach a dangerous temperature without really pushing the truck, it looks like the magic number going around is 1250* due to the aluminum pistons? Are the pistons completely aluminum?

Anyhow, I sure would like an excuse to more accurately track my truck's performance. The EGT gauge is really the end all for giving this puppy the best chance at many more miles on the road.

Thank you all for your help and input.

Bugman I appreciate the guidance referring RPM. I always hear let it breathe but it is good to have a concrete lower limit.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but can I limp by with a glowshift gauge? I have heard a lot of mixed reviews over the years, but this is one that can be at my house by tomorrow if I order it tonight. If it craps out Amazon will let me return it seamlessly. I would rather give my business to someone smaller and closer, but maybe I will use this one for the trip and go from there.

I have a transmission gauge mounted under the ashtray area does anyone mount multiple gauges there? Where do you guys like to put the gauges?

Matt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:41 AM
PSN Veteran

The Glowshift will work, the big thing is drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold. In reality it should only take a hour or so to get it all done.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassfed View Post
Lt. Dan,

Do you reckon if you dropped the 5,000 pound load you'd be able to reach a dangerous temperature without really pushing the truck, it looks like the magic number going around is 1250* due to the aluminum pistons? Are the pistons completely aluminum?

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but can I limp by with a glowshift gauge? I have heard a lot of mixed reviews over the years, but this is one that can be at my house by tomorrow if I order it tonight. If it craps out Amazon will let me return it seamlessly. I would rather give my business to someone smaller and closer, but maybe I will use this one for the trip and go from there.

Matt
I might have been lower temps, but it's still close, so many other things come into play, like altitude, any exhaust/boost leaks, etc, can cause higher EGTs.

I ran glowshift gauges for 5 years, and only just recently pulled them out because I got a good deal on some autometers.

If you want to buy the ones I pulled out, let me know and I'll sell them to you, I have pyro, boost, and trans temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Great guidance by fellow OBS guys. If you can swing it install prior to heading out as you’ll want/need one anyways at some point. 2200-2500 RPM is a reasonable guideline and don’t be afraid to manually pull it into a lower gear.... especially with a load of elk on, not gonna hurt anything to run ‘er up to 3200 rpm. Worst you can do is lug down engine, get under the turbo on a hill and not shift down, EGTs can sky rocket. Your boost numbers are right on point id say 21-22psi is all you’ll see.
Cheers and good luck hunting!
Pix or it didn’t happen.. hahaaa
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode