Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

96 F350 7.3

5K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  WL260 
#1 ·
This is my first diesel truck and the only one I've ever wanted. Finally found one clean on the inside and a brand new motor just put in. It had 1400 miles on it when I got it now after a trip to the river it got just under 5000.
Thursday morning I went outside (28°) and it wouldn't start. Turned over but no fire. Left it alone till that afternoon. Tried it again, same thing. Found the plug Friday afternoon and plugged it up. This morning (Saturday) same thing, turns over, no fire. I've been reading quite a bit of other people's issues and fixes with similar problems so I'm going to try some stuff. Any help would be awesome. Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
Is the wait to start light coming on, if not unplug the fuel bowl heater and check fuse 22 under the hood.

If the light is coming on is there smoke present at the tail pipe. If not check the CPS and verify the hpop reservoir has oil in it. Also check the IPR connector an unplug the ICP sensor an try again.

An maybe @Sbluke55, or @tjctransport can move this to the correct spot for more views an help. Site problems prolly not the best place to post FYI

#3 ·
You need to see if the block heater was reconnected to the cord. The heater is right above the oil filter.

My first guess is the glow plug relay and that the block heater isn't connected.

Reactions: heavydoc
#8 ·
i fingered that. :flipa:

the parental units beat me up this am, then we had a disagreement about money as i was leaving.
they have" too much money" in the checking account, and wanted to give me a check for 5 grand to "help pay bills" i offered to transfer it to savings, and was told "i already wrote the check, and am not going to void it" .
i told them to take the money and go somewhere for the winter, and the answer i got was "can't. all our friends are dead".

#11 ·
yea yea yea.....i ain't been here mentally for a LONG time. hence my residency at marlboro mental hospital.
both mom and dad are still pretty good shape. physically and mentally.
they just can't do very much due to the old age brings weakness deal.
plus being as both were born in hte depression and are old enough to remember the hardships their parents went through, they are very frugal with spending money.
but have no problem trying to give it to us kids.
at 89 years old, dads pension is still 3 times what they spend per year. and he has been retired for 34 years now, which is 2 years longer than he worked for the post office.

#12 ·
I checked and filled the hpop. Still no change. Turns over but won't fire up. The block heater has to be working great cause the whole motor is warm. Plan on checking the other stuff that was mentioned in the morning. I do appreciate yall taking the time to help out. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

#14 ·
Do you have fuel in the filter bowl?

Do you get any white smoke out of the tailpipe?

How low was the HPOP?

Did you try switching tanks?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dustybumpers
#18 ·
It has a half tank of gas. The front tank gauge quit working about 4 weeks ago but I know it's got at least a half tank. Was going to focus on that but now we have other issues be concerned about. Don't know about the white smoke, I'll have my wife check while I turn it over in a little bit. The hpop was all the way low I assume. I could see the bottom.

#19 ·
The hpop was low or empty? If it's low or empty after cranking a few times again, are you sure there is engine oil in the pan. If not inspect the fuel filter, if it's black your looking at injector orings

#25 ·
Thought I was looking at MY truck when I saw your profile pic- good looking ride.

Anyways you need to inspect your UVCH (under valve cover harness) as well as the VC gasket where the electric connections pass through.

I have the same- cranky but no starty- for over a month now. I will be following your thread as I am doing with many right now- I believe mine is electrical gremlins so I am in the process of cleaning the electrical connections on everything under the hood- May take a little while but not any $$$ right now, just time. And I'll know positive sure that all the electrical in the engine area will have good connections. Both ends!!!

#26 ·
okay so at first you said the HPOP was empty? Why?
Now you say its full? Did you fill it or did it fill itself?

Fuel bowl is full of clean green diesel or is it black?

Do you get the wait to start light?

Make sure you give an answer to each question, there is a reason behind each one.
Been through this a few times myself, these guys are very good at helping you.

#27 ·
First, I assumed it drained on the first no crank. So i filled it up. It has drained since get but only when I was trying to start it. Each time i refilled it.
Right now, I'm changing the 4 plugs on the vc gaskets and going through all the wires on that harness.
Wts light does come on.
After I get through all the wires ( hopefully tonight ) I'll plug it back up and go from there.
I'm considering an obd2 scanner if anyone has any suggestions.
Also thanks for liking the truck, he's a beast. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel.
Thanks again for the help.

#29 ·
First, I assumed it drained on the first no crank. So i filled it up. It has drained since get but only when I was trying to start it. Each time i refilled it.

Right now, I'm changing the 4 plugs on the vc gaskets and going through all the wires on that harness.

Wts light does come on.

After I get through all the wires ( hopefully tonight ) I'll plug it back up and go from there.

I'm considering an obd2 scanner if anyone has any suggestions.

Also thanks for liking the truck, he's a beast. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel.

Thanks again for the help.
Finally got the answer to the hpop reservoir question I asked back in the second post.

The reservoir should not be emptying during cranking cycles. You need to verify the low pressure oil pump is working. Even still when you fill it up that should be enough oil to start it.

I think at this point I would fill the reservoir pull the valve covers and crank it with a remote start button and watch the injectors to see if 1 or more is dumping the oil. It will be very noticeable. They should be giving little squirts of oil out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.