Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

E4OD trans question

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Tom Horn 
#1 ·
So. I got a 97 OBS fully built except the trans never been through. I know I know shoulda started there! Dumb me. But my son gets ahold of it one day and then next time I get in it the truck won't come out of 1st gear. I don't have much of a scan tool for this truck except Autonotenginuity which I hate it never will connect and I have Forscan. The speedo was acting up for awhile I knew it had a bad sensor ring in the rear end. So , did that. Speedo is good now still no shifty. But back to the scan tool I also have a Aeroforce gauge and it was showing the truck trying to shift to second but still, no shift. So I rewired the solenoid pack connector with a pigtail so I am certain that is good. Also put a new shift cable in it got it adjusted right replaced the neutral safety switch to no avail.
So, question is should I spring for a solenoid pack or just yank the dad gum tranny. The solenoid pack is 10 years old a FoMoCo but not that many miles on it.
Shoulda never sold that old solenoid pack it was still good dad burnit.

#2 ·
I think I do a solenoid pack first, or maybe test pressures, if the scan tool is showing the solenoid energizing then maybe a clutch is burnt out, or bad oring.

I know kids are very easy on the vehicles they drive especially when first stating out[emoji1787][emoji1787]

#3 ·
Well, oddly I had a 100 plus pressure in R and low the others looked good like 50 to 60. But? If the solenoid pack controls the pressures should that be even more indication of a bad solenoid pack being bad? I agree with you I think that is where I will go but the cotton picker has got 244,000 on it. Dad gum I can't buy a tranny right now. Sure miss that truck sitting there on jack stands, very depressing...
Thanks for the re:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.