94 f350 PSD- cranks/ white smoke/ no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

94 f350 PSD- cranks/ white smoke/ no start

Hello all and thanks for this forum- you all are gracious for sharing your knowledge on these old 7.3's- Thanks

Now as the title says- I have a problem, @ 3 weeks ago I parked for the nite and the next morning- cranks at @ 250rpm,WTS lite functions, engine oil pressure good. Went to change fuel filter and noticed the fuel heater element was no longer attached to the plate so I pulled the fuel bowl and cleaned it up put back together with reseal kit from Diesel O Rings (removed the heating element but put the plate back in) also all new fuel hoses. Checked the IPR and it ohmed at 10.5 ohms / supposed to be less than 10 ohms so replaced with motorcraft IPR from DOR. New one ohms at 0.1 ohms- good/ right? Also replaced the IPR connector/ soldered the connections and shrink tubing. Cranking fuel pressure is 48 psi at schrader valve. HPOP was full ( after sitting for three weeks)

Put everything back together and still no start so I ohmed the GP's/ injectors: GP's ohmed at 0.6 ohms on 5 of them and 2.2, 3.1,12.6 on the other three, need to replace them. GPR checked OK
The injectors ohmed at 2.6-2.9 ohms- so I think they are gtg.

I found oil in the ICP sensor so changed it with a 'Standard' brand from ORileys/ not Motorcraft. I am wondering if this could be the culprit?
I have checked all fuses under hood, in cab and all are good.

Old girl has @240,000 and has really been trouble free with regular filter changes and general maintenance.
Hope that the collective here can point me in the right direction to solving this.

Sorry for the long post but I am new to diesel's and wasn't sure what to try next? So thanks.

Thought that I should mention I just changed the oil and filter.

Last edited by yelnif; 10-20-2019 at 05:43 AM. Reason: additional ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 AM
PSN intsigator

Re: 94 f350 PSD- cranks/ white smoke/ no start

If it is only showing 250 rpm check your CPS. The computer needs to see 450 rpm iirc. Are you reading this off a scan tool or just from the dash.

Any codes, the local parts houses usyally don't have the correct scan tools to properly read the PSD codes.

What is the ICP showing during cranking, again the computer needs to see above 500 psi.

Ant smoke out the exgaust pipe

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:15 PM
PSN Veteran

The 450 number is for the ICP vice the rpm. If you are getting white smoke the HP oil and fuel should be good. Check the fuel pressure while cranking as it should be at least 25 psi at minimum 100 rpm crank speed. To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). This measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydoc View Post
If it is only showing 250 rpm check your CPS. The computer needs to see 450 rpm iirc. Are you reading this off a scan tool or just from the dash.

Any codes, the local parts houses usyally don't have the correct scan tools to properly read the PSD codes.

What is the ICP showing during cranking, again the computer needs to see above 500 psi.

Ant smoke out the exgaust pipe
Morning heavydoc, I have no scan tools or access to any. I have a digital vohm meter.I have changed the CPS- twice- and the dash tach says 250 rpm for each of them so isn't that an indication that the CPS is good ? Is there any way to hook-up a conventional tack to a 7.3?

IIRC the computer needs to see 450-500 PSI (not rpm) at the ICP. I am trying to find a high pressure oil guage to check the cranking injection oil pressure. Any recommendations?

Yes I had white smoke at the exhaust after the FB rebuild.

Thanks for the reply
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
The 450 number is for the ICP vice the rpm. If you are getting white smoke the HP oil and fuel should be good. Check the fuel pressure while cranking as it should be at least 25 psi at minimum 100 rpm crank speed. To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). This measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start). Cheers!
Just went out and chkd the GPR- results- battery voltage across two large terminals with key off-- key on shows voltage drop to .74/.76 volts. Time lapse @ 1 1/2 min and the GPR clicks and the voltage returns to 12.58 v. I think the GPR is bad- right?

Thanks for the reply Patrick- I believe you hit the nail on the head. I will order the White-Rogers (Stancor) GPR from DOR and go from there.

What are your feelings @ the non-motorcraft ICP? Should I get the OEM sensor.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

A couple of other things I have a question about:
1) there is a '1" cube' shaped gizmo in the wiring harness (in front of the fuel bowl area) Pt.# 1821712C1. I googled this and it says it is an 'international control' ?? What is it's function? Is there any way to test?

2)Also, what is the difference between the gray CPS and the dark blue CPS?
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:05 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnif View Post
A couple of other things I have a question about:
1) there is a '1" cube' shaped gizmo in the wiring harness (in front of the fuel bowl area) Pt.# 1821712C1. I googled this and it says it is an 'international control' ?? What is it's function? Is there any way to test?

2)Also, what is the difference between the gray CPS and the dark blue CPS?
I think that has something to do with your water in fuel sensor yelnif.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horn View Post
I think that has something to do with your water in fuel sensor yelnif.
Thanks for that Tom- sounds good. Now the end of the control is clear plastic and I can see multiple solder points on the printed circuit board. Three of the solder points in the center appear brownish in color- the rest are all nice and shiny silver(solder). Should I be concerned about this? Could this effect the startability?
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:13 PM
PSN Veteran

As Tom said, the cube is associated with the Water In Fuel circuit, It is a solid-state switch. It shouldn't affect the starting. My thoughts on sensors is to use OEM only (unless of course you're forced to use aftermarket, nothing else available at the time, etc). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ha Patrick, Thanks for/on the confirmation of the 1" cube. After a month's worth researching on this forum I believe, as you and many others, that Ford PSD require OEM (for stock trucks at least).

When this originally manifested- the crank/ no start issue- I found oil in the ICP so I ran to O'rielly and picked up a new ICP (Standard #PC139). Now I've learned to buy OEM for this truck. Kick me please. On a positive note though I was able to come up with the HP oil guage so tomorrow I will know if the HPOP is gtg or in need of replacing. Fingers are crossed and my prayers have been said.

I did some window shopping and actually found out that I can do SD valve cover upgrade for almost a c-note less than if I stayed with the OBS. A little bit of time/ soldering will make this a non issue in the future- a good thing.

Now this morning, with the new GPR in I was getting 12.68v across the two large terminals- the same voltage as the batteries. During cranking the voltage dropped to .17v-.13v (GP's heating) and @ 1min 20sec later the GP's kick off and the battery voltage- across the large terminals on the GPR now show 10.47v and ended at 12.36v, is this about right? the dash tach was showing 250 rpm, the engine oil pressure idiot gauge showed @ vertical- about half scale? BUT no smoke !!!! no start!!!!!

Does anyone have a pinout diagram from the IDM connector out to the various components. I would really like to ohm that harness out- all the connections plugins look good so I'm not expecting wire troubles but ?

Last edited by yelnif; 10-23-2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: small addition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode