E40D automatic transmission hard shifting after a rebuilt trans - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

E40D automatic transmission hard shifting after a rebuilt trans

I'll keep this as simple as I can

1997 Ford F250 PSD crew cab

Problem:

The shift from 1st to 2nd is shockingly hard when I keep consistent throttle (around 2000 RPM it shifts norm driving conditions) but if I let off the throttle, to drop the RPMs, it shifts so smooth you can hardly feel it. If I really get on the throttle and get some speed it'll shift a little bit better but its as if I have to hot rod the thing to do that. It doesn't matter how slow I go ( almost worse if trucks forward movement is slower when shifting at the higher rpm) It'll always slam in. The rest of the gear shifts aren't really that bad. Downshifts are smooth as butter.

Notable things:

-Rebuilt transmission from Chippys out of West Virginia with about 2000K miles on it.
- They put a transgo shift kit in it
- Not sure what they drilled the holes in the shift plate to ( could this be the whole issue?)

-The first shift of the day from 1st to 2nd is actually pretty smooth but every shift from 1st to 2nd after that is rough and rumble

-I have no check engine light on or codes that I can read from the OBD2 scanner ( Torque app )

-Overdrive works as it should

-No noticeable needle fluctuations (speedo or rpm) while driving or during hard shifting

-No issues with idle or stalling or unexpected gear shifting etc

The truck runs magnificently other than that ( and a bit of a howling around 1500-2000 rpms which i think is the down pipe rubbing the firewall) but its enough to annoy the living hell out of me. I just want it to drive easy and smooth ya know like a normal truck should.

Seems to me like the timing of the shifting might be off or I'm not making enough speed for that first shift which then would be a total diff issue. Could use some guidance

Also first time poster here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: E40D automatic transmission hard shifting after a rebuilt trans

Not that I'm helping, just getting more information for other more knowledgeable folks trying to help: Is there a chip or tuner on this truck? Cheers!
Blue-Truck-Nut97 likes this.

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Kinda waiting for Mark to chime in . Possibly a sticking accumulator valve , broken damaged accumulator spring ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Good question

I should mentioned that I do not have a chip or tuner. The truck is basically stock with a couple small upgrades or mods. It has the napa air filter and I believe wicked wheel in the turbo which is also stock size. I do not know about the injectors though, I haven't had the time to take the covers off and look. Soon though

@longjonsilver
I have a transgo re calibration kit in my shopping cart just waiting to pull the trigger on. That's what most people say is the common issue for this but what deters me is that its a new rebuilt trans and such with new springs etc
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Barr View Post
Good question

I should mentioned that I do not have a chip or tuner. The truck is basically stock with a couple small upgrades or mods. It has the napa air filter and I believe wicked wheel in the turbo which is also stock size. I do not know about the injectors though, I haven't had the time to take the covers off and look. Soon though

@longjonsilver

I have a transgo re calibration kit in my shopping cart just waiting to pull the trigger on. That's what most people say is the common issue for this but what deters me is that its a new rebuilt trans and such with new springs etc

Before I bought my truck the previous owner had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable transmission shop . I was really surprised they rebuilt it completely stock , no upgrades or shift improvement of any kind.
Might be time to pull the pan and drop the accumulator valve body ..

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I did call up the company and they told me that they did put the kit into it and it also came with a nation wide warranty ... non transferable... of course so in my hands that warranty is useless. But non the less they say they put one in and I'm inclined to believe them.

Still I think you're right it may be time to pull it off and take a look. Lucky me they put a pan with a plug on it when they rebuilt it

Still though I thought I would tap this online resource to get a more direct response knowing my symptoms and desired outcome.

Thanks for the response
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:41 AM
PSN Veteran

I like to fool with valve bodyís on transmissions, so regardless of what Iím told I try to make it my own . There are a few cheap parts you can replace while youíre in there , boost valve for the reverse circuit, new accumulator valves that are steel , that kind of stuff . Sonnex makes all kind of goodies ...

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That leads me to a quick question for you since were talking about the subject. Transmission components are not my bag of tricks but I'm not afraid to get in there and dabble. Technicians blood here. The shift plate that goes in there, people drill out holes which affect the shift timing quite a bit in correlation with the amount of springs they put on the valve correct? The smaller the drilled hole the earlier it'll shift or do I have that back wards or not correct at all?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Barr View Post
That leads me to a quick question for you since were talking about the subject. Transmission components are not my bag of tricks but I'm not afraid to get in there and dabble. Technicians blood here. The shift plate that goes in there, people drill out holes which affect the shift timing quite a bit in correlation with the amount of springs they put on the valve correct? The smaller the drilled hole the earlier it'll shift or do I have that back wards or not correct at all?

The plate on the kit I put in my e4od and the drill corilates to the firmness of the shift . I canít remember which is what but the tranny behind my 7.3 idi shifts very hard when the truck is empty . Put a trailer on it and itís about right. Follow the transgo kit , stay on the conservative side unless you want it slamming gears , which obviously you donít .
Pay attention to the inside bores of the valve body . The spool valves should move easily and not stick .

Joshua Barr likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

This.
The firmness of the shift is what I want to mellow out. I think I'll go ahead and get this kit now and do the recal.

Any advice? other than specific attention to inside bores of valve body? Just looking for spurs something to hangup on? Obviously broken springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode