1996 F350 7.3 IDM goose chase - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1996 F350 7.3 IDM goose chase

Howdy!

This is my first post and like everyone else, i need help!

I bought my first diesel about a month ago. It's an OBS 7.3 F350 4x4 CC!

Thing has 375k on it, so i expected some issues, but damn this thing has me stumped! Expect a long read..

Ran great for the first 2 weeks, although it felt sluggish. I ran some lucas diesel injector cleaner through two tanks. Seemed to help a little..

Then one day, drive for about 45 min, park at the store, turn it off, go inside, cone back, and it hard starts. Had been firing perfect before this!

Finally got it running, but have to give it some throttle or acted like it was going to die. Notice CEL and am next door to O'Reilly so decide to drive over and get it scanned.

CEL turns off before i make it over. Then, decided to recreate it by shutting off truck, and hopefully going through it all again.. This time it would not start.

Let it sit for half hour, still nothing.

Strong crank, no fire.

Get it towed to local #### shop which is #### (a little biased after dealing with them)

A week later (had to go out of town for work) of no communication and certainly no approval for work to be done, I drop in on my truck at their shop.

They say that there was water in the diesel and fuel pickup/pump? Under fuel bowl is toast. Need to drain and replace diesel and replace pickup/pump then will be good as new.

Next day go to pick it up, they tell me they also replace passenger side valve cover gasket and IPR, but still wouldnt start, so they pulled an old IDM they had laying around and got it to start, but runs really rough. Tell me to try and drive it to see if i could live with it...

Felt like they dropped a cam in it and had to give full throttle to get it to move a foot. I didnt cuss them at this point, but asked what the deal was. They say must be IDM since it was running with theirs in it, but needs new one, show me how to change it out, and tells me to just keep theirs until i get it swapped (what the actual...)

At this point I am irritated and disappointed, so go to AutoZone, order one and get it swapped out in the next few days. Amazingly truck started and ran a whole lot better!

Drove it for a couple days just fine, but it did feel sluggish like when i first bought it (lose speed going up hills unless WOT) and burning through fuel like crazy, whatever.. Nightmare is over and can get it into shop at my leisure to check it out... NOT!

Drive an hour to meet a buddy, park, have lunch, go out and start truck, fires up perfect, truck idling while BS'ing for about 5 minutes, truck dies.

Hard start (but easier than the first time), have to maintain throttle (died at red light then restarted fine), take it to diesel only shop close by.

They call me the next day that the fuel pressure switch is out, there was on o-ring missing off the fuel return line coming from new fuel pump that was pouring fuel out, injector #7 was bad, and ICP is bad.

Tell them to fix it all.

Couple days later they call and asked if i had just put an IDM on because they can see it's new, but it's bad..

Did a buzztest in front of me, sounded good, then pulled code for #5 open circuit something or another.

Swapped IDM with one out of a 2003 buzztest was good again, but this time show codes for #1,3,5 open circuit.

They say try to get the one from autozone swapped and they'll see what the new one does.

They say they ohmed out 42 pin and something else on injectors and was all good.

Does this all make sense to you guys?

I just dont want to get the run around again.

I will say this shop seems a lot more competent, but that is coming from an incompotent first time PSD owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:51 AM
Project Shamu

Re: 1996 F350 7.3 IDM goose chase

Theres a couple things I might check..

1) What CPS is in it? They can sometimes throw phantom codes for things like this. Always put a Ford Motorcraft or International CPS in them, never one from an auto parts store (like autozone).

2) check the harness that runs from the 42 pin connector to the motor. Right where it drapes over the valve cover it has been known to rub through and ground out on the valve cover (yes the valve covers are steel)

Let's go from there.
Sbluke55 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I get the new IDM tomorrow,so let's see what happens there and as soon as I get my truck back I will look at both of those then get back to you.

Thanks!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:27 PM

Pull the plug on the passenger side uvch and look for burnt pins.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The shop called and said that the truck is running great after installing the new IDM.

I will pick it up tomorrow and report back.

This is just the start to a long journey of owning this beast!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codybiffel View Post
This is just the start to a long journey of owning this beast!
Yup

Although you’ve come to the correct forum also PS Army is great too. Would have given up on my 7.3s years ago..like 1995 if not for this site and a couple others. Anyone can buy a new one, takes grit, patience and dough, lotsa dough to keep these old beauties runnin.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

UPDATE:

Shop installed the new IDM and truck runs and sounds amazing now!

On the other hand.. I had them do an inspection of the drive/power train, brakes, and suspension.

Apparently it needs a full front end rebuild on the steering, brakes all the way around, bushings, and has a slight oil and transmission leak.

They are ballparking around $3,500 out the door!

When o get the full breakdown monday or Tuesday i will post that
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Project Shamu

Jesus $3500 you can buy an entirely new drivetrain...

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:17 PM
PSN intsigator

If its running good and you are competent replace that schit yourself as time and money allow

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydoc View Post
If its running good and you are competent replace that schit yourself as time and money allow
Do this ^^^^ $3,500 will buy you lots of tools and parts, just need to learn and invest the time.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode