Dropping tanks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
College Student

Dropping tanks

I am tossing around the idea of dropping my tanks to clean the pickup screens in the tank. It has never been done before. I cleaned one of the screens on the fuel bowl a while back and remember it was clogged. The truck ran fine with it being in that clogged state and never gave any symptoms that it was clogged. Thats what is making me thing the tanks might be a bit dirty.

How much of a pain is this to do. From what I've read around, it seems that I just need to hook up some ratchet straps for support, and get a fuel line removal tool. Then everything else is pretty much unbolt and unplug, then the revers of that to install.

Is there any tips to making this go easier or should I just wait until I start to experience problems?

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Dropping tanks

Forget about cleaning the screens and just replace the pick up foot.

https://www.dieselorings.com/1994-19...equipment.html

Ratchet straps are good as is a floor jack. Get as much fuel out of the tank as you can before trying to drop it. If you have a few buddies pulling the bed might be a easier option. Just lift it and place blocks under it while you are working under it. That way you won't need to disconnect any of the electrical.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:23 PM
alleged moderator

i would lift the bed before ever trying to drop the tank.
i dropped a tank once about 40 years ago and learned my lesson back then.
i pull the bed to do any work on the tanks ever since.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:00 PM
PSN Veteran

+3 pull the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 PM
PSN intsigator

Definitely pull the bed, then replace the bed bolts with the super duty bed bolts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 PM
PSN Veteran

The only problem that you might have raising the bed would be the rusted bed bolts. But then you would have the same problem with rusted bolts on the tanks straps also.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
The only problem that you might have raising the bed would be the rusted bed bolts. But then you would have the same problem with rusted bolts on the tanks straps also.

Say no to rusted trucks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut97 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Bed pulling is way easier if you have means of lifting the bed.

However, if it is rusty, or has been subjected to heavy mud and junk, or oil soaked underneath for en extended period, dropping the tanks and cleaning the mounting straps may save you from a hole rusted or worn in the tank later. Replace the pads if needed.
In a pinch I've used nylon ratchet strap material out of the dumpster glued around the tank where the bands ride.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
longjonsilver likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdurastroke View Post
I cleaned one of the screens on the fuel bowl a while back and remember it was clogged.
If this is the screen about a 1/3 way down fuel filter canister on drivers side of bowl, thatís the screen for fuel return to the tank. Generally when it had black goop on it, it can be injector o ring material and also keerap from the tank. When ever mine has been really dirty, once cleaned truck seems to idle better.

Iíve always pulled the tanks from the bottom, ratchet straps are your friends. Pending your needs be a great time to swap in F26 series of tank in the rear, 145 litre or 38 US gallon. Bolts right in and is only 7Ē deeper then stock. Also a SD CcSB poly from 05 (or so) will fit mid ship (did that earlier this summer) on my Tan White Tan truck. Itís 132 litres, did the hutch mod on it too plus plumbed in my 200 litre inbox combo drybox fuel cell, so it drains gravity into mid ship tank (ball check valve for safety).
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:50 AM
PSN Newb

Garage
There is a good video of it on YouTube... Guy deletes the screens and walks you through the process. Does it without pulling the bed. Looked easy enough where I may get suckered into doing it as well.

1997 F-350 7.3 . Mostly Stock, minor upgrades. YMMV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode