In need of some information pertaining to crank/no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
RustbeltJohnny

Garage
In need of some information pertaining to crank/no start

Hi yall. I have a crank/ no start after a stall out while driving. This has happened twice in the past 2 weeks and now need some help narrowing the issue down. This OBS has had baby swamps, Hydra chip, 3 inch down & 5 inch exhaust out, as well as a 66D Beans Turbo installed less then 45,xxx miles ago. Now last week I went to pick up a load and on my way back into Houston I noticed a small power loss and punched it to give that turbo some boost and as I did the engine quit and I coasted safely off the highway and got towed home. The next day I went through the DTC's on the edge insight and got codes P0344-p1212-p0340-p1211. So I started by replacing the CPS, cuzzzz why not, and guess what?? it fired right up with no issue.

I felt comfortable it was the only issue and parked her. I had a job out of town so I left but after some debate with myself I decided to go ahead and replace the HPOP with a Stage 1 CNC Fab Hpop as well as new lines. I felt confident that it was the right HPOP for my wallet and after speaking with Corey (the owner of CNC Fab) I was sold. When I got back home I dug right in and pulled out the old heart and transplanted the new one. Once I got the ol gal all buttoned up, I instantly felt the performance gain with the new HPOP but during a test drive I punched it and the motor cut right out. Each time I tried starting it I got long cranks/no start and no smoke at the pipe.
So I let it sit for a few hours. After it cooled down it started right back up. I needed to be sure I received a good Hpop and ran a mechanical pressure gauge on both sides of the heads, Both giving the recommended specs of 500psi at idle, I however can not clarify what the pressure is at WOT due to the bastard stalling when it reaches optimal temp. I also called Corey from CNC Fab to bounce some ideas off of and he said it is most likely a high pressure oil leak at a injector.

If nothing makes sense let me know and Ill explain more thoroughly and what steps should I take to recover from these issues?

Get out your pooper scoopers, cuz these suckas are talkin ####.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: In need of some information pertaining to crank/no start

Check the wire harness that is routed under the fuel bowl for deterioration. Check for a loose tin nut on the IPR . Also check the wire harness that runs across the HPOP reservoir, that may be in poor condition contributing to the cam sensor codes ... sounds like wire problem possibly bad IPR .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dustybumpers likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Check the wire harness that is routed under the fuel bowl for deterioration. Check for a loose tin nut on the IPR . Also check the wire harness that runs across the HPOP reservoir, that may be in poor condition contributing to the cam sensor codes ... sounds like wire problem possibly bad IPR .
So my IPR was replaced last season, maybe 20,xxx miles ago or less. Is there some way to measure resistance, or duty cycle. I also have a Edge Insight CTS2 which can make it easier to read the numbers but I guess I am a little dumb founded as to what numbers I am looking for. Can I test the harness maybe for resistance?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbeltjohnny View Post
So my IPR was replaced last season, maybe less then 20,xxx miles ago or less. Is there some way to measure resistance, duty cycle. I also have a Edge Insight CTS2 which can make it easier to read the numbers but I guess I am a little dumb founded as to what numbers I am looking for.

Do you have a known good IPR to test with ?
Did you replace with a motorcraft unit or aftermarket?
Check them wires , that oil and diesel ruins the wire insulation and they essentially melt together and do weird stuff . Iíve seen it a lot on OBS trucks given their age .

Dustybumpers likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Quote:
Do you have a known good IPR to test with ?
Did you replace with a motorcraft unit or aftermarket?
Check them wires , that oil and diesel ruins the wire insulation and they essentially melt together and do weird stuff . Iíve seen it a lot on OBS trucks given their age .
Yeah the IPR was a Motorcraft one which was purchased from www.dieselorings.com. So I am confident (but how can one test the IPR?) that I have a good IPR, Also keep in mind this is something that happened before and after the new HPOP was installed. Ill check the wiring harness running through the fuel bowl and to the IPR and see if that maybe the culprit.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Well I ran out and checked the harness that connects to the IPR and got 12 volts with key on engine off so I will assume the wire harness is not the issue. Any other recommendations would help?

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Well I ran out and checked the harness that connects to the IPR and got 12 volts with key on engine off so I will assume the wire harness is not the issue. Any other recommendations would help?

Remove and inspect the harness . If you really want to test the wires plug in a 20 watt light bulb and apply power to it . That will load test them and see if they can carry the current.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Quote:
Remove and inspect the harness . If you really want to test the wires plug in a 20 watt light bulb and apply power to it . That will load test them and see if they can carry the current.
haha Im lost as to what you mean by 20 watt light bulb, or maybe your just poking the bear haha, either way I pulled the harness and tore it down. I dont see anything that would hinder continuity. No exposed wires of any sorts. Sure the harness is from 1996 and is ugly but again I find nothing exposed. soooo Im gonna test resistance real quick and if its all good then its time to hit the drawing board again.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
haha Im lost as to what you mean by 20 watt light bulb, or maybe your just poking the bear haha, either way I pulled the harness and tore it down. I dont see anything that would hinder continuity. No exposed wires of any sorts. Sure the harness is from 1996 and is ugly but again I find nothing exposed. soooo Im gonna test resistance real quick and if its all good then its time to hit the drawing board again.

Just because it looks ok doesnít mean it is . The light bulb test shows the wire can carry a load . Check the wiring on the top of the HPOP .

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Quote:
Just because it looks ok doesnít mean it is . The light bulb test shows the wire can carry a load . Check the wiring on the top of the HPOP .

HA after a quick google search I quickly realized what you meant. freakin brilliant. Yeah im gonna give it a try because why the hell not. off to the local hardware store. Ill check back with the findings.
longjonsilver likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode