1995 7.3 no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1995 7.3 no start

Should the engine oil pressure gauge rise when cranking for awhile, if not would that cause a no start. Where can I plumb in a mechanical gauge. Plus where do they hide the obd2 connector, can’t find it under the dash anywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1995 7.3 no start

The stock oil pressure gauge is just a idiot gauge and might or it might now register after cranking for a while. But it will not cause a no start by itself.

You can plumb in a mechanical one down at the port on the oil cooler header just above the oil filter or where the stock sender is at on the high pressure oil pump.

The OBD II connector is under the ash tray, but remember that 99% of the code readers out there can not read codes from our trucks due to Fords propriety codes that is sends out.

As for your not starting, do you get the wait to start light when you turn the key on?

Also if the is no low pressure oil it won't feed the high pressure oil pump which the injectors require. You can pull the plug on the high pressure oil reservoir and see what the level is, it should be at or near the top.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I plumbed in a mechanical gauge and I have oil pressure so that’s good. The wait to start light does not come on, and my AE scanner won’t connect to the vehicle. So what does it mean when that light doesn’t come on?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Check your fuses. I'm suspecting that you may find fuse #22 under the hood blown. If so, unplug the fuel bowl heater, and replace the fuse. Then see if it starts and runs, and your scanner works.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I checked the fuse 22 and it’s good, and there is power through it. I disconnected the fuel bowl heater just to make sure but all that is good, it still won’t start. My AE scanner won’t connect, I’m not sure how to switch it to OBD1 if that’s even possible. Tried a known good PCM and still no start.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:10 PM
PSN Local

Cinahcem,

As you can't talk to the PCM I'm betting that the PCM is not getting power. Looking at the diagrams for my 97 7.3, which should be pretty much the same as your 95.... Fuse 22 is the protection for the fuel bowl heater, glow plug relay and IDM. Fuse 22 also supplies power to the coil of the relay that controls the PCM. Check fuse 9 - this is the fuse the protects the PCM. If fuse 9 is good then check the relay that controls the PCM.

Cj

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3, Eaton Fuller RTO-6610, 4x4, 3.54, otherwise stock
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 PM
PSN Veteran

I wonder if your truck is still set up as obd 1, has your obd 2 scanner ever worked with it? Or is this a recent development?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:41 PM
PSN Veteran

As far as I know, the 95's did not have the OBDI port under the hood and if it did, any reflash of the PCM would have rendered it inoperable. With no WTS light, you could have a problem with a possible short on the 5V reference signal circuit. Many times a shorted sensor can cause this. For a quick check (but not definitive) for a short, unplug one of the following sensors that use the 5V reference (EBP, CPS, ICP, BARO, TPS, MAP) and turn key to WTS (you don't have to turn it over). Does WTS illuminate? Yes, that sensor is shorted. No, move to the next one. The 5V reference circuit is the white/brown stripe wire on all those sensors. EBP and ICP would be a couple of the more common culprits. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode