zf5 rear/tail housing 4x4 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

zf5 rear/tail housing 4x4

Have a 2" +/- crack at top of rear tail housing, near the seam with the front case, on 1997 ZF S5-47. I have a few questions as I try to find a solution:

1. what tail housings are interchangeable? ZF s5-42 4x4? What about small blocks, or the big 460 gasser? I know the bell housing and gear ratios are different on the 460 transmissions, but not sure about the rear housing.

2. What are some ideas on short term fix in place? It is at the top of the housing, so only leaks when driving. Permatex, epoxy, solder (assuming I can get to it to solder)?

3. Any one have one to sell that will fit?

Thanks in advance for any input!

1997 F-250 7.3 PSD, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, EBPV delete (sort of, disconnected solenoid and wired open), Marty's efuel with fuel bowl delete, baby swamps injectors, D60 front axle, probably a few other things I cannot remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: zf5 rear/tail housing 4x4

I had the same problem, I lived with it for a number of years until I decided to have it fixed. I took my transmission to a shop in Denver where they sourced a new tail shaft and replaced it for me.

Until then I just addded fluid once a month.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:15 AM
PSN Veteran

If it's not structural, I've patched with JB Quick weld, or the 2 part radiator epoxy works really well. Just be sure you get it CLEAN first so it sticks.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:42 AM
PSN Veteran

If you do try the above fix or if you find a tail housing check the mounts. That was my problem when I cracked mine

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:30 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

I use these brazing rods around my garage known as HTS-2000. They have the ability to seal cracks up and holds stronger then ever before. Take a peak at this video, hell it may even be a permanent fix for your situation. The video is ridiculously funny but very informative.

Get out your pooper scoopers, cuz these suckas are talkin ####.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 PM
alleged moderator

i have them aluminum brazing rods too. but i prefer to use the aluminum stick welding rods with the miller bobcat welder.
the brazing rods are good for thin stuff. anything more than 1/4 inch or so gets stick welded.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for all the responses. I did not have time to get into a proper fix because of the crack location it would require removing the transfer case at a minimum and probably the transmission itself, plus don't have a replacement part. Still looking for a replacement housing. For now I just covered the crack with black permatex sealant, just to stop some of the leaking (hopefully)!

Still looking for a housing if anyone has one.

I think the cause of the crack was the driveshaft bolts at the output shaft backed out after my son and his friend changed u-joints and probably did not put any loctite on the threads. Started vibrating on deceleration one morning and in the span of a short 10 miles the tranny was leaking.

Even if I find a replacement housing I plan to see about getting the existing one welded in case I need one in the future. Between my son, his friends, and me working on this thing itt is not a reach to think something like this could happen again!

1997 F-250 7.3 PSD, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, EBPV delete (sort of, disconnected solenoid and wired open), Marty's efuel with fuel bowl delete, baby swamps injectors, D60 front axle, probably a few other things I cannot remember.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Just a note: You might need to reset the shaft endplay to spec (correct sized shims???) if replacing the housing. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Just a note: You might need to reset the shaft endplay to spec (correct sized shims???) if replacing the housing. Cheers!

Thanks for that note/thought. I have no idea what the shaft endplay/shims is, but I plan to have a tranny shop do the housing replacement if/when I ever find one that is reasonably priced. Right now all I can find on ebay are in the $700-750 range. Of course "reasonable" becomes a different number depending on how well we are limping along (or not)!!

Thanks

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsgcs View Post
Thanks for that note/thought. I have no idea what the shaft endplay/shims is, but I plan to have a tranny shop do the housing replacement if/when I ever find one that is reasonably priced. Right now all I can find on ebay are in the $700-750 range. Of course "reasonable" becomes a different number depending on how well we are limping along (or not)!!

Thanks
For another $500 you can have a whole transmission from a rebuilder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode