1997 7.3 No Start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 7.3 No Start

Hi all, im new to this forum but not new to the 7.3. This is my second one and i just picked it up. Its a 97 CCSB 7.3 with a 5 speed. when i test drove it, it ran a little rough but it does have 250k on it. He said it wont start without being plugged in. I figured it to be a relay and didnt pay to much to it. Got it home, tested the relay, it was bad and i replaced it. still didnt start. went to check the glow plugs and found that the connectors on the glow plug harness was smoked, so i replaced that. still didnt start. checked the glow plugs, had 3 bad ones, changed those and it still doesnt start. Figured it must not be a glow plug side issue anymore, so i replaced the CPM for good measure, still not the issue. moved to fuel pressure, checked pressure through the schrader valve and when cranking it had at least 40 psi so i think thats good. i have checked everything that i know how to check, need some advice on where to go next. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1997 7.3 No Start

Injectors might be worn out to the point where they will only start with a little heat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:45 AM
PSN Veteran

The above post is a very real possibility. Low compression is another possibility, if it has eaten dirt at some point in it's life.

Starting at the cheap end and working up, I would load test the batteries, and verify that all cable connections are PERFECT.

Next, maybe a starter, how old is it? Just because it's spinning doesn't mean it's turning fast enough to start cold. That's a total judgement call on your part, but personally, I've been fooled before myself.

After that, might be time to consider a compression test.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
longjonsilver likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thank you for the input, i have not checked the battery output yet. If i do have worn out injectors, how do i test that? i have not checked my compression yet either, what is a good range to be in?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

If this issue continues I would check compression and make sure every cylinder is within 10% of one another.
Also 40Psi seems a little low for a DI, so you may have some kind of fuel delivery issue. From what I have read you should see somewhere around 50psi for optimal fuel pressure.
Have you noticed any blow by? maybe to much oil or fuel dumping at the tail pipe?

Get out your pooper scoopers, cuz these suckas are talkin ####.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:21 PM
PSN Veteran

The 40 psi is one of the things that made me think slow crank. Maybe that is flawed thinking?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:52 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut97 View Post
The 40 psi is one of the things that made me think slow crank. Maybe that is flawed thinking?

See if you have a slow crank then you have to combat that issue first before moving on. Make sure both batteries are fully charged, at least 11.3 Volts on a multimeter, and sometimes leaving them charged on a trickle overnight will give them the optimal charge. Charging them for a few hours and trying again actually kills the batteries faster. Kinda like beating an amish horse, you can only do it for so long before the damn thing gives up. SOOO step one - be sure both batteries are completely charged, then start cranking. If you still have a slow crank I would look to the starter and see what voltage im receiving. If its the optimal 12 volts then the starter is all good, but who knows...I have seen starters still work but not at optimal potential. If I am correct you should see 55PSI at the bowl. if not then you have a fuel delivery issue, In my mind 40 is to low.
Search the google box and see if you cant find the correct pressure you oughta be receiving for fuel. If you follow through with that and still have a crank no start, Id say bust out the compression gauge and see what your compression ratings are and again they must be within 10% of one another. You should see numbers like 300PSI give or take on a compression test but keep in mind they only need to be a difference of 10% from one another.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:19 PM
PSN Veteran

I agree. And I suspect you meant 12.3 volts when charged? Typo?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:08 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

ha yeah. Those 1, 2 buttons are to damn close. Im horrible with the keyboard. keep us posted.
Blue-Truck-Nut97 likes this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So a little update. i had the batterys checked and they checked out perfect. the starter motor did not. i swapped it out for a brand new one. did not change anything. cranked a lot faster though. so while it was cranking i shot it with a little shot of ether, started up immediately. checked fuel pressure at the schrader valve for good measure, was showing average 60 psi at idle. i guess i need to check compression now? and my injectors? thank you all for your input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode