icp out of range/low - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

icp out of range/low

Took my truck to the dealership to have the codes pulled....I cant with obd1 or obd2 scanners of my own. Anyways its pulling the code P1280 (ICP out of range-low). The CEL only comes on at wide open throttle in lower gears. I removed and cleaned my IPR thinking some debri may have been causing a malfunction....but I still get the code. Im getting oil pressure on my guage at crank (indicating my LPOP is good) and my resevoir is full on the HPOP). Is it the sensor or what?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: icp out of range/low

You should fill out your sig to let us know what you have done to the truck. The computer is calling for more oil then the hpop is suppling. If you have a chip and or injectors this is very possible.

1997 F-250 PSD, 130k, 4x4, Outlaw E4ODX, Standard Cab, reg bed, 3.55 LS rear, Swamps 225/146 injectors, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Tranny, 3" downpipe, 3.5" adjusted exhaust, ts 6 pos chip, Tonys fun programs, Tru-Cool H7B, 285/75, factory alum rims, Western V-Plow, 6.0 intercooler installed not plumbed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

sorry...its a 94 5spd with only a intake and downpipe.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
PSN Veteran

What else is it doing? Is it taking throttle and accelerating? Can you tell when it sets the code?

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If the truck sits for more then 10 hours, it takes about 6 hard cranks to get it started....I usually plug it in regardless just so im not late for work. It runs like crap when it finally does start...the GPS and GPR are all good/new. It takes about 10 minutes before it starts to run right, and when it does it happens like a flick of a switch. If i kill the truck when its warmed up and restart....the light will come on for about 15 seconds and go out... and the only other time is at WOT in lower gears.

Mike
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my66coupe View Post
If the truck sits for more then 10 hours, it takes about 6 hard cranks to get it started....I usually plug it in regardless just so im not late for work. It runs like crap when it finally does start...the GPS and GPR are all good/new. It takes about 10 minutes before it starts to run right, and when it does it happens like a flick of a switch. If i kill the truck when its warmed up and restart....the light will come on for about 15 seconds and go out... and the only other time is at WOT in lower gears.

Mike
All of this just confirms what I and another user on TDG told you there. Your injector o-rings are leaking by and need to be replaced. Hell you probably have a couple of them broke in half from what you are describing. Put new o-rings on and all of this will probably dissapear.

To confirm pull a valve cover off and start the truck up briefly. If there is oil coming up around the injector then you for sure have o-rings leaking. The oil exiting out the aluminum snout on the top of the injector is normal operation.

Maybe it isn't what you want to hear but that's the problem.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler View Post
All of this just confirms what I and another user on TDG told you there. Your injector o-rings are leaking by and need to be replaced. Hell you probably have a couple of them broke in half from what you are describing. Put new o-rings on and all of this will probably dissapear.

Maybe it isn't what you want to hear but that's the problem.
Yup.....x2 on the orings and I'll talk you through this... The hpop is not leaking down since you said the reservoir is full (thats good), but the oil is leaving the system on extended shutdown and the system is fighting to clear a big air bubble between the pump and the injectors for the first 10 minutes of running. You may also have oil in the fuel at the separator as well because if it went past the oil orings, it mixed with fuel and went back to the filter on the return. Likely the top square oring broke on the injector and it exits onto the top of the head under the VC.

You prolly already hear this, but pull a valve cover and fire up the truck. Let it idle and you'll likely see oil bubbling around the base of an injector(s) in the head. There's your missin' oil pressure.....

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 AM

If he has a broken top O ring it will do more than "bubble" from around the injetor. Mine shot a nasty slug of oil all the way over to the fender and up to the hood.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 AM
PSN Veteran

damn, hadn't seen that.... OK, 66, you've been warned

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 AM

BTW, I had this exact problem a while back, it was my injector O rings.

I got the 1211 for out of range high/low, as well as another specific out of range LOW code.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode