completely full HPOP reservoir - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

completely full HPOP reservoir

While trying to figure our a slow to start issue, I checked for oil in HPOP reservoir and it's completely full. In reading, looks like it should be 3/4" from top.

1995 F350

Only related info I could find online was this from DeadHeadDiesel:

"You can also remove the HPOP Reservoir inspection plug/fill port (scroll down to step #9 on that article) and check the oil level. If the oil is close to the top, the problem could be a bad or failing 7.3 IPR." (in the IPR test section: [deadheaddiesel.com/7.3-ipr-injection-pressure-regulator/)

But ins't there an over-fill drain in the IPR reservoir? So why would oil level get close to the top w/ bad IPR as deadheaddiesel claims? Seams like only reason would be clogged drain line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:26 AM
Project Shamu

Re: completely full HPOP reservoir

Every time I pull the inspection plug on mine it's to the top as well, not 3/4" like some people have. Maybe some are just different? Dont forget that reservoir gets pressurized to 3000 psi, so a drain tube would be pointless. The IPR is the only way for that oil to get out of the reservoir. That, and going through the iniectors.

I would still think a sticking IPR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM
PSN Local

Lt.Dan,

I believe that the HPOP reservoir only sees LPOP pressures. The heads see the high pressure output of the HPOP. You don't want any air in the lines and galleys downstream of the HPOP.

Cj

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3, Eaton Fuller RTO-6610, 4x4, 3.54, otherwise stock

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So, still unsure what a full HPOP reservoir means if anything?

Still a bit tough to start. Just finished: Rebuilt injectors (some did have bad o-rings), new glow plugs, valve cover wiring stuff. Tried un-plugging ICP sensor, no change in startup.

I guess I'll just start throwing money at it here and there. Next up: IPR.

Another symptom is that it will run on 7-cylinders for 5-10 minutes, then go on 8. Which is why I started with injectors thinking one was bad. So when oil gets hot and thins out, it would flow better allowing 8-cylinders to run. Maybe it is the IPR indeed. It always starts running on 8 during acceleration after that amount of time.

Any suggestions would be helpful, but I'll try to keep the thread up to date until problem is solved. I hate those threads where you read a little and they're having the exact problem you are, but then they never posted what the solution was.
Lt.Dan likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Have you driven it much since the injectors? Some have said it can take up to 100 miles to work the air out of the system.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
jrdonicht likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I haven't driven it more than around the block. I'll get out and do that today. Wouldn't that be nice if all it took was a drive!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:04 PM
PSN Local

What Blue-Truck-Nut97 said. You need to drive it and drive it hard at times to get all the air out otherwise all of them I changed take longer to start than normal until the air is dispersed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok. Long drive helps start quicker. Not necessarily asking for help, but here's an update after a strange day:

Injector #2 not ever firing. No oil coming out of #2 injector like others (pulled valve cover). When #2 is disconnected, no change in engine sound like other injectors. So #2 definitely not firing.

You'd think bad wiring. ~53vdc signal is getting to the injector. Pic shows signal measured at injector #2 (not working) and injector #4 injector(working)

So I swapped cylinder #2 injector with #4 injector. Cylinder #4 continues to fire, #2 still no fire. I know injector is good. Which isn't a surprise since they're freshly rebuilt.

I popped out injector #2 and cranked a few times to see oil flow. Some oil flows into hole, not a ton. Maybe I'll pull #4 and compare oil flow.

Measuring voltage on ICP, it measures .9vdc at idle (600psi). When I rev and watch voltage on ICP, it's at 1.25vdc at 1,500 rpm. Highest spike when getting on it (not moving, just parked in garage w/o load) got to about 2.1vdc (1600psi) very briefly. Voltage to psi conversion: thedieselgarage.com/forums/19-2003-2007-6-0l-power-stroke/129265-icp-pressure-voltage-correlation.html

According to deadhead, those pressures are right in line with what they should be. //deadheaddiesel.com/icp-sensor-7-3-injection-control-pressure-sensor/

I'm a little stumped at this point.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm trying to get signal pic uploaded. maybe see attached if it works. basically signal from #2 looks identical to other working injectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyl4.jpg (28.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cyl2.jpg (25.2 KB, 3 views)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 AM
PSN Veteran

If you don't mind me asking, what valve cover gasket and harness did you use? What brand? And, did you change the pig tails on the outside of the gaskets?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode