Does a Borgeson 0981 fit a 97 F-350? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Does a Borgeson 0981 fit a 97 F-350?

Has anyone installed a Borgeson 0981 Steering shaft on a 97 F-350. Borgeson says they only fit up to 96?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM
PSN

Re: Does a Borgeson 0981 fit a 97 F-350?

I have one in my 96. Itís the same gearbox to the best of my knowledge. F250 and f350 just have different Pittman arms

96 F250 CCSB 4x4 E4oD,4.30 gears, 37" tires, 2007 Suspension 160/30, S366 ,Banks IC, Adrenaline, e fuel, AFE, PRECISION TC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 PM
PSN Veteran

I don't know what ALL the differences are, according to the order sheet for the Red Head box some 97 models used a 4 bolt top cover. I think that is how you tell the difference. That's all I got.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...-f-series.aspx

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Yup totally fits and is a great mod...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8n10sh687...ix%20.doc?dl=0

Link is a How Too install the Borgeson 0981 stored on my Drop Box account.
Cheers.
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

The Borgeson is a dream, but keep in mind if you have a RED HEAD steering box, it voids the warranty. ALSO! because it utilizes a set screw to lock the joint in place, it has a tendency to naaawww the hell out of the input shaft on the steering box. I have called both Borgeson and Red Head and they both hate one another so good luck at getting any info out of them two. If you do get a red head steering box or any other kind of aftermarket steering box, just know that borgeson steering shaft will always void the warranty

Get out your pooper scoopers, cuz these suckas are talkin ####.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 AM
PSN

Thats very interesting, I had no idea I voided my warranty ..ha ha.. I don't think I will ever need it because the red head boxes are great in my opinion. Have an red head 07 SD BOX now with the borgeson shaft but previously had a red head 96 box with borgeson shaft... I just had to trim about an inch or so to fit the SD box.

either way they both make great products and good to know I voided my warranty

96 F250 CCSB 4x4 E4oD,4.30 gears, 37" tires, 2007 Suspension 160/30, S366 ,Banks IC, Adrenaline, e fuel, AFE, PRECISION TC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:48 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscotted View Post
Thats very interesting, I had no idea I voided my warranty ..ha ha.. I don't think I will ever need it because the red head boxes are great in my opinion. Have an red head 07 SD BOX now with the borgeson shaft but previously had a red head 96 box with borgeson shaft... I just had to trim about an inch or so to fit the SD box.

either way they both make great products and good to know I voided my warranty
Yeah, I was told by Red Head that the rag joint pinch style connector is the only accepted input they allow on their boxes. I combed the interwebs to see if I could somehow replace the end joint on the Borgeson with a pinch style connection and Im sure something exists, but like you I could care less because both work beautifully together. I however am not amazed by red head steering boxes and let me tell you why...Soooo I got my Red Head and installed it and boy o boy what a world of difference but after I got the Borgeson shaft installed I noticed this slight play in the steering as if there was movement from the input shaft. ( I am a calibration Technician and Quality Manager with a ungodly amount of measuring instruments ) I busted out the simple dial indicator and magnetic base and found .0005 of play on the input shaft and was a bit confused as to why so much play?? I then called Red Head and told them which at first I was confronted with hostility as if I had no clue what I was talking about until I told the gentleman the work I preform on a daily bases. Strike 1...After speaking for a few I also told the guy I had just installed a Borgeson shaft and he replies with "well theres your issue." I was not pleased with his answer Strike 2...He then goes on to tell me that "yes, they make a beautiful item" but there Boxes are not meant for a shaft that does not absorb some vibration, I then explained that make no sense being the Borgeson uses today's tech and engineering to provide the best product available. Strike 3...I explained further to him that no matter what shaft I use, I should not see any play on an input shaft sooooooo I told him I was not pleased and they needed to send me a new box, which they did, but after the install, it was no where near as smooth as the first one and yes the play in the replacement Box was way less then the original box (somewhere around .0003) It still left a bad taste in my mouth. I actually am not happy with Red Head and next time I will search elsewhere if this thing takes a crap. SO in my opinion, yes Red Head is nice, but not 600$ nice. they obviously have no consistency with there product or maybe they use bad instruments to collect there numbers and data. Either way WARRANTY VOIDED.....hahahaha

Get out your pooper scoopers, cuz these suckas are talkin ####.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode