Flywheel coming apart again??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Flywheel coming apart again???

Why can't I get more than 60,000 miles out of a flywheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Old guy from the old days

Re: Flywheel coming apart again???

Because it is a bad design. I went with a single mass fllywheel conversion on mine the second time I replaced the clutch and am pleased with the results.

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

what's cost difference between another pos dual mass flywheel and a single mass conversion?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
PSN Local

The whole kit for a smf conversion is cheaper than the DMF flywheel alone. Mine was 600 or so from valair for everything and I really like it. I already had an almost new dmf in it but a fuel leak smoked the clutch disc pretty bad.
I still have that dmf and my wife was telling me I need to sell it if your interested.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Where can I find flywheel removal and replacement instructions for dummies? I'm not a mechanic, but I'm broke and need the truck. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I believe I can do it, it would just be extremly helpful if I had some instruction to follow so I could proceed with confidence and hopefully only have to drop tranny one time. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah, how much are you asking for it? Do you think I could get away with not replacing the clutch.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well dammit, I guess while I'm at it, the best thing to do would be a single mass conversion, new clutch, and a whole rebuilt transmission. I just don't have the money for all that right now.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Old guy from the old days

Flywheel from Ford is somewhere north of $1100 and does not include the clutch kit, it is just the flywheel. It will fail again in 100K or so - the complete kit from TYMAR PERFORMANCE cost me $570 three years ago delivered to my door - flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, alignment tool. The only thing you have to re-use is the metal ring that goes on the outside (toward the back of the truck) of the flywheel under the bolts.

I replaced my clutch in October of 2000 with factory at 138K, did it again summer of '06 at 240K and the clutch disc still had 75% of the friction surface, the &@&^# flywheel failed AGAIN, taking out my transmission with it. I used the base LUK as my truck is pretty much stock and likely to stay that way. I did catch a used tranny for $600 so the total bill, tranny and all, was less than the cost at the time for the replacement in 2000.

Dave / Believer45

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 AM
PSN Local

i did solid flywheel conversion from oreillys and its got a lifetime warranty on everything. been real pleased.

-ReD

Firefighter/Paramedic, Tinkerer

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Learning from PSN

I better plan on a clutch soon! Mine has almost 166 thousand on it. Should be back on the road this weekend. Been down for a while for electrical issue's. BTW it's a 94.5 with the original clutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode